Is shocking your pool necessary?

marcus_pd

Jan 6, 2021
San Jose, CA
Pool Size
Guys, out here in Northern California. I have a 30,000 gallon pool and I always put a cover in my pool year round. I only open the cover while using it but if i do not get time to swim I do let it breathe at least once a week in summer and once every 2 weeks in winter. However, I never shock my pool. I only use Perfect Weekly for maintenance and the 3" Chlorine tabs and immediately fill them whey they run out. Everytime i go to my local pool store for free water testing, its always at 90% health and the guys really impressed but my Chlorine is always close to 0, which is an easy fix is what they say. They recommend adding Chlorobrite granules which i typically add every once in a while during the pool season. The shop recommends shocking every time before you add Chlorine tabs. Would that be necessary? Pool so far is in great shape and water is crystal clear.

Thanks in advance

Marcus, welcome to TFP! :wave: I can tell you that yo do not need to do so-called weekly shocks, nor do you need to waste money with Perfect Weekly, PhosFree, or any other snail product the store sells. It all boils down to maintaining the correct FC to CYA ration as noted on this FC/CYA Levels. I can assume that by using tabs on a routine basis, they have added stabilizer to a point your CYA is probably way too high and your FC cannot keep up with it which will result in cloudy water/algae.

Your best bet is to stop using tabs and stick to liquid chlorine and/or regular bleach which have no side effects. You really need to test your own water with a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-20006C test kit. Either will work, but you need one of those to cut the cord with the store. You might be very surprised at what you find. Read/save the link below as well for great info.

Reactions: Rich807
Agree 100%. Test your own water, add only what is needed. Stay out of the pool store and avoid their "magic" potions. Pucks used continuously in a pool open year round will result in a future problem if the FC/CYA relationship is not maintained. Caring for my pool has become simple after joining this site and following it's advice. Read, read, read...

Reactions: Rich807
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.