Is replacing a light a DIY project?

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I have one failed Savi led pool light. Can light replacement be a DIY for me, aka the typical home owner? Or is this best left to the professionals? I can usually do other DIY pool projects and I would of course be extremely careful w/ the electrical aspect of this

Don’t see why not unless the pull distance is really long or the installer jacked up the buried conduit by using too many elbows. Disconnect the wires at the j-box and pull the light out of the niche. If you can easily pull the wires and they move freely, should be a fun Saturday afternoon project.

Modawg,

Since you live in Phoenix and Matt lives in Tucson, maybe you guys could do a team project? :)

As Matt stated, the main thing is being able to pull your current wiring out w another lead wire that you would use to re-pull the new light. if you do have some elbows, adding some dish liquid soap can surely ease the pain and tension. The key is tying the current wiring to your pull wiring so it both does not come detached while pulling and is easily pulled through. Just think of how a predator would swallow a fish; head first [yes] or tail first [no]. you reverse the attachment process depending on which way the wire is being pulled...if however, it does come detached, you can run a "birdie" via a blower or vacuum and pull a line through.

Also, make sure you turn off all power/circuits/breakers first and test it before you undo the wiring. Take pics of exactly how everything is wired before and follow suit when installing and you should be good to go. If the wiring run is 15ft, you should have no problem; it much longer, PM Matt [ :) ] Joyfulnoise

good luck

Thanks. It's a decent run, maybe like 50 ft. Hopefully not too hard, I had this light location replaced before under warranty a while back so hopefully there isn't anything too hard about it. I may deem this one "my time is more valuable".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.