Is polyquat 60 absolutely necessary for closing?

Have to close early this year, mid September in NJ. I forgot last year to add polyquat 60 to pool. It still opened crystal clear. Solid cover and closed mid October then. I’m wondering how important is the addition of polyquat to the process? BTW just a thanks to all that make this site available, 15 yrs struggling to keep my pool clear, 4 yrs with TFP and nary a struggle had. Thanks.

Reactions: JessB412
As you found Polyquat 60 is not essential in a pool closing. Using it is an insurance policy against possibly having algae at opening. It may help, it may not, and you may get by without it.

Compare the cost of using it versus the *possible* cost of a SLAM in the spring. I personally like the $30 piece of mind. I seem to be in the minority but when I built my pool, I factored and budgeted the yearly operating costs beforehand. Some years are better than others, but It wouldn’t have been any different if we bought a boat instead. I like to save money as much as the next guy, but a handful of $30 ‘insurance policies’ is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

I use POLY in my steps (2 are weights w/ gravel) to prevent algae. Try to change every week or two weeks. I have almost a whole bottle left I'll just dump the whole thing in the night before closing and let the pump run all night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would recommend adding it since you are closing with the water temperature being above 60. You may still have a green pool at opening, but closing this early you need all the (safe) help you can get.

I'm going to do it this year when I close for the first time, but I have a mesh cover and worry about algae blooming since it won't block all sunlight.

If you are going to close early with a mesh cover, then use Poly 60, but make sure the pool is clean first. If you want to have extra insurance, cover the mesh cover with inexpensive solid tarps (secure) and still allow some rain water in until December 1st, and then you can remove them until next year. This will keep most of the UV Rays away from the pool until it becomes real cold.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.