Is my thermometer lying to me?

thunderkyss

Jul 24, 2010
Pt. Arthur, TX
I'm keeping the kids out of the pool because the water feels too cold to me. Ambient temp is in the mid to upper 80s. The pool thermometer says the water is 80 degrees. I even put it in my net, sunk it to the bottom of the pool & held it there for 10 minutes.

When I pulled it up, it said 80 degrees.

But it feels much colder than that when I stick my arm in for a sample.

Am I crazy? I just bought this theremometer today, as the other one was doing the same thing.

Flippy

Jan 8, 2011
Richmond, Texas
My pool hit 82 today and it still feels cold to me. I actually got in yesterday and it wasn't too bad after a few minutes. My kids have been swimming on hot days since mid March. We are located SW of Houston.

thunderkyss

Jul 24, 2010
Pt. Arthur, TX
Well, my kids are probably going to be mad at me... if they knew. I've been waiting for the temp to come up, the pool is looking good.

But now, I want to get in & I'm tired of waiting.

but I'm scurred.

linen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
My kids will swim if it is 70 (even 65, but not for long), though they will go between the pool and hot tub more.

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Mine was 80 on Sunday....and I'm about 4 hours North of you. Had 3 people in too! Coolish nights and the rain front cooled it this week though, but back to 80 now! Just waiting for the angle of the sun to clear the ridgeline of the house for it to be in full sun all day.

rsharp

Jun 12, 2010
Let Em Swim!! when i was younger it would be 70 out and i was still in the pool. just surprise them and say "WHO WANTS TO GO SWIMMING"

onerailunder

May 31, 2011
Oldsmar, FL
I have three thermometers. The one floating around the pool and the SWG panel have both reached 91 deg. The one in the skimmer has hit 88. I think they're all a little optomistic.

We do a fair amount of snorkeling in Florida springs which are 72 deg. year round. Our three year old bails after a short time at that temp.

texasdad

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
DFW Metro
let 'em swim! They'll get out when they are old (typo: old=cold but maybe it shouldn't be fixed). Run around as much as the kids do and you won't get cold either!

Jamison04

Jun 21, 2011
Tecumseh, OK
Topped at 82 here over the weekend before the rain and cooler temps moved in. Today with the clouds I think we may have reached 75...