Is my pump okay for my filter?

starfury

Jun 5, 2021
Toronto
Wondering if my pump is too strong for my sand filter or not?

I have a Hayward Sandmaster 19 inch sand filter model SM1906T it holds 175 lbs of sand media

Pump is a Hayward power flow Matrix 1 HP model# SP5610. The manual says it gets about 86 GPM for 10 feet of head loss and about 55 gallons at 40 feet of head loss of I'm remembering correctly.

I have about 15 feet total of 1.5 inch PVC flexible hose. A Hayward skimmer, the sand filter and my return jet.

I have one single 90 degree elbow in my setup. It's a very simple setup overall. Skimmer is connected to 4 feet of flexible PVC hose that connects to a 90 degree elbow which connects to a male adapter and straight into the pump..then I have 5 feet of flexible PVC hose from pump to sand filter. Then about 5 feet of flexible PVC hose from filter to pool return inlet.

My pump Sits on concrete that is exactly level with the same ground the pool is sitting on. (Pump is even with floor of the pool) my skimmer is about 1.5 feet higher than my pump.

My pool is 16 feet diameter, circular, a d 48 inches deep with 5300 gallons.

I'm figuring I probably have somewhere between 25 and 35 head feet of loss but no idea if I'm calculating that right.

Do any of you pros anticipate any possible cavitation issues or pressure problems based on this setup?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and answer!

Last edited:
Wondering if my pump is too strong for my sand filter or not?

I have a Hayward Sandmaster 19 inch sand filter model SM1906T

Pump is a Hayward power flow Matrix 1 HP model# SP5610. The manual says it gets about 86 GPM for 10 feet of head loss and about 55 gallons at 40 feet of head loss of I'm remembering correctly.

I have about 15 feet total of 1.5 inch PVC flexible hose. A Hayward skimmer, the sand filter and my return jet.

I have one single 90 degree elbow in my setup. It's a very simple setup overall. Skimmer is connected to 4 feet of flexible PVC hose that connects to a 90 degree elbow which connects to a male adapter and straight into the pump..then I have 5 feet of flexible PVC hose from pump to sand filter. Then about 5 feet of flexible PVC hose from filter to pool return inlet.

My pump Sits on concrete that is exactly level with the same ground the pool is sitting on. (Pump is even with floor of the pool) my skimmer is about 1.5 feet higher than my pump.

My pool is 16 feet diameter, circular, a d 48 inches deep with 5300 gallons.

I'm figuring I probably have somewhere between 25 and 35 head feet of loss but no idea if I'm calculating that right.

Do any of you pros anticipate any possible cavitation issues or pressure problems based on this setup?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and answer!
I also have a ball valve shut off I forgot to mention that is connected to the 4 foot hose directly below the skimmer. Between the skimmer and pump. Not that that probably makes a difference if it's open. But just thought I'd mention

Can any mod out there please move my thread to the plumbing, filters and pump forum. I posted in the wrong one by mistake
This is an above ground pool system. We attempt to keep them in the Above Ground Pools forum.

What is the THP of the pump?

OK -- does the motor label show a SF value? You mutliply the label HP by the SF for THP.

Regardless, trying to calculate head loss is not a trivial matter. The Hayward web site shows this filter is designed for 40GPM. That pump is going to be on the edge of too much for this filter. And too much for your small pool.

Theoretically can I drop 3 or 4 90 degree elbows into my plumbing to take the pressure edge off. Based on calculators I've done online for total head feet loss I'm probably around 55-60 GPM and the filter rating is for 45 gpm

Like I said, head loss is tough.

Hook it all up, run it. It may be fine. But that is a big pump for such a small pool. Biggest issue will be blowing fine debris right through the sand in the filter and back to the pool.

It's been hooked up and running for about two weeks now. The water is crystal clear as long as I keep up with the chemicals. I was just more concerned about long term damage. But there are so far no visible signs that it isn't working well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.