Silver Supporter
Jan 11, 2022
Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This am I went out early to empty the skimmer as usual. I noticed the pump basket had a lot more tree debris than usual and I know I needed to empty it. But figured I would do it later after work.

I had a bunch of meetings today and when I got out of them at 2:30 I noticed the pump wasn’t on! 😳 I went to check and I tried getting it to click or make a noise nothing not even a hum.

I tested the gfi and it was fine. But noticed the pump was very hot. So I quickly emptied the pump basket and cleaned it. Turned the switch on and it hummed now but isn’t pumping.

I let it rest for another 30 mins then just went out and tried it again and it’s only humming. I know it’s getting power now but it’s not pumping.

Anything else I should try? Am I going to have to get a new pump?

Thanks.

Check and replace the pump capacitor. That may revive the pump.

Thanks for this. I have research to do now!

I will see if I can figure which one I need. I have a regular Hayward 1HP power flo matrix pump. No idea how old it is as it was with the house last year when we moved in.

My plan for next year was to buy another pump as a backup as I didn’t know the age or condition of this one. I think I may try and get a new pump and then fix this one and use it as a back up. I only needed 3 more weeks!! Dang

For 3 weeks, you could use a submersible pump to circulate the water for 15 mins at test/add time.

Try the capacitor, and if it's more involved, I wouldn't race to replace it. You can have all winter to stalk deals.

Reactions: Decoy205
How do you use a submersible pump to circulate? Just run the out put hose right into the pool?
I used a new submersible pump To empty the nasty green water from the old pool. I was afraid to put it in my nice clean pool ha! Should I pump a bucket of water with some chlorine in it to clean the pump? We got so much leaves and tree debris falling now. Losing the skimmer sucks too.

Going to call some places and see what’s in stock. I found a place online that seems to have the same pump for 275. If i circulate the water with the sub pump maybe that would buy me time to get the other one shipped?

How do you use a submersible pump to circulate?
Just put it in the middle like an above ground fountain. (Providing the cord reaches) Or attach a hose so it shoots along the floor. It only needs to run for 15 mins after adding LC.
To empty the nasty green water from the old pool. I was afraid to put it in my nice clean pool ha!
Whatever comes out is a drop in the proverbial 10k gallon bucket. It certainly won't hurt to empty a bucket or garbage can first, just to help your reservations. But it's for you, not the pool.
We got so much leaves and tree debris falling now. Losing the skimmer sucks too.
Throw a tarp over it. It can be semi closed and opened easily if you want to swim.

If you are replacing- now is the time to go 2 speed or vsp if your budget allows.

I’ve never had a vs or 2 speed. I see most people with auto timers using them. Would I use it longer in the low speed?

Remove the old cap and look at the side. It should have the info you need. Post a pic here if you need further help with identifying the specs. You could also take it to your local pool store.

I’ll pull the back off the Motor today and see if I can get the capacitor info.

Just put it in the middle like an above ground fountain. (Providing the cord reaches) Or attach a hose so it shoots along the floor. It only needs to run for 15 mins after adding LC.

Whatever comes out is a drop in the proverbial 10k gallon bucket. It certainly won't hurt to empty a bucket or garbage can first, just to help your reservations. But it's for you, not the pool.

Throw a tarp over it. It can be semi closed and opened easily if you want to swim.
Thanks dude as always for your advice. I figure with all the muck in the old pool running the pump with clean water can’t hurt.

I will try and get a new pump today but will have this as my backup plan. I’ll post to the models places around here have.

Reactions: Newdude
Qv6cjD6.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can run a 2 speed on low most all the time to get constant skimming/ filtering for way less $$$ - same with a vsp. Vsp’s are more expensive upfront.
If keeping hoses for now vs pvc / flex pvc at least do double hose clamps (2 right next to each other) to prevent an accidental flood.
Adding a union to the pump itself will prevent accidentally boogering the threads on the new pump when removing/working on things as well as make winterizing easier.

+1. A 2 speed on low is GREAT compared to a single speed. A VSP can be run even lower for further savings, but it's not nearly as much of a jump from 2 speed to VSP.

But then again, for a couple hundred more, the VSP will likely make its money back in the long run.

This has everything to do with my current thoughts fir your situation. Normally I'd be all over having the pool back up and running. But with supplies and pricing in the tank, you're likely going to have to settle for something that you'll have for a decade or more. If you limp along for a couple weeks as is, you can make it a winter hobby to find a perfect fit at a good deal.

If you find a steal tomorrow, by all means, jump on it. If you have doubts, wait it out.

So far i called 3 local stores here are my options for new pumps:

Store 1
1HP Hayward Single TL pump $495
1.5HP Hayward Single speed TL pump $549 No VS pumps

Store 2
Hayward 1HP Single speed standard chord $359
Aquaguard 2speed 1.5HP $250

Store 3

I'm leaning towards the one for $359 but i really didnt want to have to switch cables. That's very annoying.

Im totally fine with getting one of these $500 was my cut off. I was going to get another next year anyway. It doesnt seem like I can get a Hayward 2 speed for close to that so.

What do you all think?

I'm leaning towards the one for $359 but i really didnt want to have to switch cables. That's very annoying.

Im totally fine with getting one of these $500 was my cut off. I was going to get another next year anyway
Wait. Save your funds and put them toward a pump that will pay itself off, many times over.

Sure, a spare anything is nice, but a pump being down is rare and how far are you going to go with redundancy ? A spare pump ? Filter ? A spare pool to go with them ? 🤣

It's your wallet, by all means you do you. But I wouldn't throw $359 at a temporary solution that will be an expensive paperweight for the rest of its life.

Wait. Save your funds and put them toward a pump that will pay itself off, many times over.

Sure, a spare anything is nice, but a pump being down is rare and how far are you going to go with redundancy ? A spare pump ? Filter ? A spare pool to go with them ? 🤣

It's your wallet, by all means you do you. But I wouldn't throw $359 at a temporary solution that will be an expensive paperweight for the rest of its life.
Well it wouldn't be the spare, id use it now. Id fix the old one and have that as a spare next year? Do you think i can't switch the wire or fix the old one?

I hear you though, but its gonna be a lot of work for me for the next few weeks to maintain with the submersible pump and cleaning etc. and with work i don't know if i can do that everyday. I'm mainly worried about the ability to clean and vacuum etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.