Is my pump completely dead, half dead, or...?

Flowerman

May 23, 2012
Montreal, Canada
I have a Sta-Rite SuperMax VS pump that has been great for about 8-9 years until about a month ago ( mid-late August ). After a very hot summer our pump started tripping the main panel breaker. It would trip a few hours into the daily cycle and as long as I reset the tripped breaker in the morning, it worked enough for a few hours every day to allow me to keep the pool clean. With all the info on the site I figured I had a dying electric motor so started to research the possibilities of having the motor rewound ( prob. not), buying a new pump or just swapping out the motor and redoing the seals. I also know a guy that works in small electric motors and have changed out my heat pump fan motor for cheap but unsure about the case used on a pool pump and how that would work so decided to wait till the end of season and see my options over the winter.

Then jut a few weeks later, as the cooler weather approached, the breaker stopped tripping and it runs 8-12hrs without issue.

I think I should follow my initial plan, unhook it and get it check over the winter in case it lets go again MID next season.
Are there other things I should be looking at or is my thinking on this sound?
And if the motor is dying a slow death, what path do you suggest I take in this possibly expensive pool repair?
Are pumps worth repairing at all?

Prices are all over the place with a new one around $1450 CAD and motors with and without casing, etc running 6-1100 CAD not including seals ( just looked at online retailers so far )

Thanks all.
G

willygee

Silver Supporter
Aug 24, 2020
central fla
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
How is the wet end of your pump?...if in good shape just a motor might be the call. My pump is 11 years old (impeller and diffuser renewed) and still going strong but i do have a VS V Green and or a 2 speed hayward motor on standby.

Last edited:

1Sammy

In The Industry
Jul 20, 2017
Windsor, Ontario. Canada
Can be a number of things, even a bad breaker pushing near the break amperage. It is a heat issue you have and proven when temps dropped, time got extended. Bad bearings to a defective thermal if that motor has one. Also a good blow / cleaning may be all it needs. ( needs to be taken apart ). Rewind is not an option these days until you get up into the 50 /100 hp motors. Good luck.

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Is it really the breaker tripping or the GFIC tripping?

A breaker should not trip on a VS motor unless the wiring is crossed somewhere. If there was a problem with the motor and/or drive such as drawing excess current, the drive should give a alarm on the display and shut down on it's own well before reaching the breaker limit. So I suspect it might be a problem in the breaker and/or wiring.

The first thing I would try is another set of breakers.

Flowerman

May 23, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Well the wet ens seems in perfect shape, I've never noticed a drop around the pad. I'll definitely get on a good cleaning of it to see if there may some built up pollen, etc..

As for the breaker, I think it's of the gfci type, it has a yellow push to test button on it. If it's at the main panel how does it differ in the way it trips from a standard type? My first pump died not long after buying the home and this one hasn't had any issues in 8-9ish years. When I clean it soon, I'll shut the breaker and inspect the wiring connections, they may have corroded over the years.

BTW, 2 warm ( for us ) days in a row and it's tripping again 82F humid 93. back to mid 70's tomorrow

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
As for the breaker, I think it's of the gfci type, it has a yellow push to test button on it. If it's at the main panel how does it differ in the way it trips from a standard type?
GFCI breakers tend to fail more often than standard breakers. But does the breaker toggle switch move, or only the GFCI button pop out? Can you post a picture of what it looks like when tripped?

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread