Is my filter Dead?

nousername

Bronze Supporter
Sep 22, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi and thanks for the help from a longtime lurker. Is my filter dead?

I have a Triton TR100 filter that has the larger lid like the TR100c filter. The body of the filter flexes upward raising the lid about 1/4 inch+ when the filter pressurizes. The flexing occurs in the body of the filter within 2-3 inches of the edge of the lid.

Problem #1 - I have had trouble getting the gasket under the lid to seal tight and I have water/air leaking past the seal. I tried replacing it with a new seal and silicone but this did not help.

Problem #2 - The filter also leaks very small amounts of air through body of the filter where it is flexing. This leaking is at pinpoints through the fiberglass and can be seen with some dish soap.

So . . . . Is the filter dead or am I completely missing something. My bank account hopes I am missing something easy.

Time for a new filter.

How old is the filter?

I suspect that it must be pretty old.

I know that the UV is brutal in Phoenix. So, that's probably part of the problem.

What's the normal filter pressure?

What rpm does the pump run at?

So the filter was from 2008. The sun is brutal here but I re-coated it with spray paint so it does not look like it is that sun baked but maybe it is time.

Normal pressure varies depending on speed (obviously)

I normally run it at 2510 RPM for a few hours to run the suction pool cleaner. At this speed it runs at 10-20 PSI
I then run it for several hours at 1250 rpm to filter
Once or twice a week to circulate acid I run it at "quick clean" which is 3150 for 10 minutes. At this speed it runs 20-28 or so

The variation in pressure because the pool has an old A&A floor cleaning system with a gould valve. Depending on the floor vents that water is directed to the pressure varies.

One additional question - I said silicone for gasket but I actually have use the Magic Lube Teflon sealant. Could excess lube weaken the fiberglass of the filter?

(I will update my signature with additional equipment)

Yep I do. Here is is a picture of the model number portion of the label. (it will be in next post as I need to resize it)

Is there much difference between the triton 2 and the I assume older triton filters? There is what appears to be a decent price on a triton filter locally that is still in the box.

The Triton II is a really good filter. I'm surprised that it has failed.

Maybe the intense UV has degraded the filter significantly or maybe the previous pump was oversized and kept the pressure too high or maybe a combination of both.

The Triton II is the residential model. It's a good filter.

The Triton C is the commercial model with extra diverters for better dispersion of the influent water.

The Triton HD is a heavy duty model that has a maximum pressure of 75 psi vs. 50 psi for the regular models.

I would recommend that you get the same filter that you currently have.

Do you have a picture of the filter that's being sold including a picture of the label?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the help everyone!

I am able to pick it up locally so that is not a problem.

Funny you should mention the MPV because that is what got me into this. I have a pentair push/pull valve that is broken and I need to replace. I ordered a MPV to replace it. In looking more closely at the filter I noticed it flexing and leaking air through the fiberglass.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.