Is my equipment undersized?

Mar 27, 2018
Anniston, AL
I am a new pool owner of a 58k gallon gunite pool built around 1995. The salt chlorine generator is a Jandy P1400, rated for 40,000 gallon pools. The free chlorine is a little low this week, but the water is clear. The salt cell runs at 75% most of the time and the 1 hp single speed pump runs 24/7. The pool is not closed in the winter due to its size and difficulty covering. I am going to upgrade to a variable speed pump, but was wondering if I need to add a second salt chlorine generator? Thanks!

Bob,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your "Adequacy Issue" questions... :shark:

Our standard answer to your question is that all salt systems should be rated for at least 2 x the volume of the pool. This is because of the problems that you are having... Cells are rated when running at 100% output and 24/7... In your case.. if your 40K cell is 'almost' working.. then I would suggest you step up to a 60K cell... If you do not have an automation system, then I would suggest a CircuPool RJ60-Plus...

See this comparison chart for the amount of chlorine gas generated per day... Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

I would also highly suggest that you get a VS pump so that you can run your cell for a long time at a slow speed... I can run my 3 HP pump, at 1200 rpm, 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.