Is it time to replace my salt cell

Thanks. I need to fix that. That was my estimate, but the swimming pool rep told me it is 18K

Thanks for the clarification. Now, I at least calculate the same numbers as you do...

Does the Universal 40 have a clear cell, can you see calcium scaling in the cell that might explain reduced chlorine generation?

Just to add to your post. I have a SWG and couldn't get FC levels stable. My pool would hold FC for a few days then drop. I SLAMMED over and over again. I passed the overnight CL test many times. I couldn't figure anything out so I broke down and treated my pool for phosphates (my numbers were 2500+ ppb) and it made a huge difference in the FC stability in my pool. My FC levels are now stable (no random drops) and I was able to turn the SWG WAY down. The product I used was PR-1000.

Just to add to your post. I have a SWG and couldn't get FC levels stable. My pool would hold FC for a few days then drop. I SLAMMED over and over again. I passed the overnight CL test many times. I couldn't figure anything out so I broke down and treated my pool for phosphates (my numbers were 2500+ ppb) and it made a huge difference in the FC stability in my pool. My FC levels are now stable (no random drops) and I was able to turn the SWG WAY down. The product I used was PR-1000.
Interesting. Was you pool water cloudy, but otherwise looked good?

Okay been doing a SLAM since the 10th. So far I have used 36 gallons of chlorine. I've seen some improvement in clarity but I still cant see the bottom in my deep end clearly and I feel the improvement has leveled off. I've continued to pass OCLT (was passing before I started). I think what might be happening is that the suspended particles are in the deep end and I don't have a MD so the filter can't really filter them. I've run my pool bot a few times and it got some debris, mostly fine silt. Today I put in the ultra fine filters and ran it and it actually looks murkier. Maybe it stirred up stuff from the bottom. One thing I noticed is when the pool bot was climbing the walls, there was a lot of what look liked fine white powder being kicked up bu the brush. I checked my calcium a while back and I have almost none (I think it was 50), but since I have fiberglass I don't need to worry about calcium, right? In any case I don't see any point in continuing to SLAM as I seriously doubt anything is left alive in there. I'm thinking to left it drift down and make sure my SWG can maintain it's original levels, which was my original problem. Assuming that is all good, there in no chlorine demand, I'm open to suggestions on how to get my water clear. I could try floccing it, since I have the robot to clean up the mess. I've always avoided it in the pas because I would have needed to vacuum to waste, but with the robot, and the fine filter, I assume it could easily clean up what sinks to the bottom. Open to any other suggestions.

It sounds more like oxidation on the gel coat.

If you want to try something to clear the particles, use a quality clarifier. SeaKlear Chitosan is one. Not good if you have algae, which it sounds like you have shown you do not.
Be prepared to clean your filter. You have a tiny filter for the size of pool you have.

If it is oxidation, clearing the pool water of it will not clear it up forever.

FYI -- you should maintain a CH of 200 ppm or so for fiberglass. Keeps it from staining, but that does not sound like your issue.

There are a couple threads on it here. One Mod, Texas Splash, has it on his fiberglass pool and has sanded nearly his entire pool. A couple other owners have had their manufacturer involved. But those are pretty new pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.