Is it OK to get in the pool to vaccuum/brush after shock?

#1
Hi, I am a new member and LOVE this site. I have learned so much, bought a great new test kit that you recommended, and have converted to the BBB philosophy (wish I had discovered this 10+ years ago and I'd be richer for it).

My question is... is it OK (i.e., healthy) to be in the pool vacuuming and brushing the morning after a shock treatment? I just poured 3 gallons of bleach into my 10,000 gallons pool tonight and want to follow your advice of brushing everyday. I don't plan to submerge, of course, but I will be in the water to about my upper abdomen with a short wetsuit on. I'll test frequently to monitor and will do the overnight test tomorrow night if you think that is enough time for the chlorine to do its work. Is there a "max" FC number that you should definitely not even enter the water? Thanks!
 

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
10,892
Houston, Texas
#2
Re: Is it OK to get in the pool to vaccuum/brush after shock

It is ok to swim up to shock level for your pool. What are your current test results.
 

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
41,197
Tucson, AZ
#3
Re: Is it OK to get in the pool to vaccuum/brush after shock

Like zea3 said, safe up to the shock level ... BUT, if you are performing the Shocking Your Pool process, the FC should never be below the shock level, so it would not be "safe".
 
#4
Re: Is it OK to get in the pool to vaccuum/brush after shock

My long reply that I wrote this morning somehow didn't post after I clicked Submit. Oh well, I will have to reconstruct it.

After a month of frustration and depleting my bank account at our local pool store, I got fed up and drained/refilled about 80% of our pool two days ago, then climbed in to wet vac out the darkest green stuff in the center of the pool about 18". Refilled it and it still looked lighter green from the remaining algae I didn't get out. Tested last night using the new TaylorTK6000, balanced the pool, and added 3 gallons of bleach. I did not register a CYA reading (never clouded up the test tube), but I assume this is because I had just put about 8,000 gallons of fresh tap water in it. I plan to buy stabilizer later today and use the sock method to get it up to a good reading. I read that each pound of stabilizer adds about 12 ppm for a 10,000 gallon pool so I assume I will need to start with a purchase of 3 lbs. Should I put it in all at once or more slowly, testing between? I plan to get in (ugggh! FREEZING tap water here in MD) and vacuum and brush tonight. We run the filter continuously, and will clean the cartridge consistently.

These are my readings as of 9:00 a.m. (I applied the chemicals last night at 10:00 p.m.)
TA=90
pH=7.6
CH=70ppm (I assume not very applicable to AG vinyl pool?)
FC=8
CC=1 (maybe a tad less)

No more green in the pool, though there is a cloudy center in our low spot that I assume is the dead algae. Will vacuum ASAP. Can see nearly to the third rung of our ladder, but not quite the bottom of the pool. Am I moving in the right direction? Should I get ready to shock again after I vacuum?
Thanks!
 

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
41,197
Tucson, AZ
#5
Re: Is it OK to get in the pool to vaccuum/brush after shock

Sounds like a good plan. Add all 3 lbs and then test in a week. Squeeze the sock every time you walk by it. Keep the FC above shock level for a CYA of 30-40ppm until you pass all 3 tests.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)