Is it ok if CSI stays above 0 all the time but less than 0.6, throughout the season?

norcalpool1

Silver Supporter
Sep 16, 2017
Silicon Valley,CA
FC: 6.5
pH: 7.7
TA: 70
CH: 600
CYA: 50
Water Temp: 80

CSI is 0.22. I add acid to bring the pH to 7.5 or 7.6 after adding water and measuring the pH. Over the next few days, pH creeps back to 7.8, stays there for a long time, then moves up to 8. At that point, I add more than the usual amount of acid.

Calcium hardness keeps increasing from the beginning of the season to the end of the season. It comes down most likely because I remove water in the winter after heavy rains in winter.

What I have noticed is that the CSI has been staying above 0 the whole time this season. What is the impact if the CSI varies between 0.2 and 0.4 the whole time? Should it be gradually changing between from negative to positive for a stable balanced pool?

Supply water:
CH: 30
TA: 90
pH: 8.7

Regular chemicals used for the pool: 10% Chlorine and 14.5% Muriatic acid (at Home Depot)

It is best to keep CSI below 0.3 and above -0.3. It can go to 0.6 for short periods of time.

This is assuming you do not have a SWCG, which you do not show in your signature.

> It is best to keep CSI below 0.3 and above -0.3.
Thanks. Specifically, should the CSI vary from negative to positive over a week (as the pH changes) for the most optimal condition? Is there any issue if the CSI only varies from 0.2 to 0.3 i.e. it stays positive the whole time throughout the year.

Variances over a few days or even weeks is of no consequence. Generally, keep the CSI between 0.3 and -0.3.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.