Is it just me or are pool wands the biggest racket in all of pool ownership?

Mar 26, 2017
Greenville SC
I'm pretty sure my last post involved how to fix a pool wand as well. This is the second time in a matter of months that I have had a pool wand continuously collapse in on itself while I'm trying to sweep my pool. Both times I have bought one of the telescoping wands at one of the local home improvement stores- Lowes in my case. And both times, the internal black plastic ring starts to slide up the pole causing the wand to collapse in on itself while Im trying to push the broom along the bottom of the pool. I should also mention that I'm pretty neglectful of sweeping the pool in the first place since I don't even use it so its not like these things are seeing regular use, let alone intensive use. So can anyone walk me through how to repair these things? Or do I have only an elementary understanding of how these things work and its a 20 second fix/adjustment that every average pool owner knows? I swear if I had a way to transport it, I would simply use a 12-20 foot solid piece of wood or aluminum as a handle to prevent this absolutely silly annoyance if they made them. I'd almost send someone a case of beer if they could look at their own want to see what I'm talking about and offer a solution.

I'm attaching pics of the black piece of plastic that slides up the pole when you try to push. They're always right under each section of the wand screws into the next piece. And for as effective as they are, they might as well be made out of bread. :mad:

tBO3ErM.jpg

This is how I fix mine...
download.jpg
I haven't saved up enough money yet, but one of these days I'm gettin' one of these...

Reactions: JoeSelf and borjis
I haven't saved up enough money yet, but one of these days I'm gettin' one of these...
Mine is working well but this will probably be my next one because of the locking system. With a 20X40 I’m fully extended alot and the angle of the pole on the deep end requires some oomph to move the vac head.

@Moneypits when the cheapo one they gave me with the pool had nothing but problems I went to my mom and pop pool store and had them order me one of the ones their service guys use. They had 2 choices for heavy duty, fiberglass and aluminum and the guys liked the aluminum ones better because it was much lighter. It was $100 and I didn’t care what kind of markup it had, it was beefy and going strong 5 years later.

I have an aluminum one. It does not have that sort of locking mechanism. There is an eccentric cam on the end of the inside pole. When you screw down the collar it locks. It came with the house 8 years ago and is still going strong.

I bought this one and it works almost to well meaning once it is locked it does not like to unlock :) the only thing I do not like is it is black and is hot when you first pick it up but once it hits the water it cools down in seconds...

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
I'll second the ProTuff pole. I no longer stand there cussing like a lunatic when brushing the pool! For some reason though, I kept the junk Pentair one. It works ok for skimming leaves I guess.

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.