Is HTH stabilizer (from Walmart) just as good as...

mynewpool

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
That is good to know. I saw it one time at Lowes and was going to get it, but it said 4% other so opted not to get it. It was a smaller one than I bought. I went to warehouse pool supply and 4.5 lbs of stablizer was 19.99.

Winger 03

Sep 7, 2009
Frederick County, MD
Just this week I got 4 lbs of the HTH 96% CYA (stabilizer) at WalMart for $15. I need more, but am hesitant to put too much given the PITA it is to get rid of CYA. I will re-test tomorrow.

Lil Davy

Jun 2, 2010
Great thanks... from reading posts on this forum many talk about the stabilizer being a solid (putting it in a sock and sticking it in the skimmer). If I remember what I saw at Walmart, the HTH is a bottle of powder. Is there really any difference?

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
NY
No difference...it's all granulated, not really powder consistency. Just put the granules in an old sock...(no holes of course) :goodjob:

mynewpool

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
Winger 03 said:
Just this week I got 4 lbs of the HTH 96% CYA (stabilizer) at WalMart for $15. I need more, but am hesitant to put too much given the PITA it is to get rid of CYA. I will re-test tomorrow.
Give it about a week and see what happens when you test. How did you add via the sock method or through the skimmer?

geekgranny

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2009
North Central Texas
I like the HTH from Wally's the best. I usually put 2 lbs in a knee high stocking, in front of a return. I tie a string to the stocking and wrap that around a rock. A couple of bricks will work, also. Sometimes, if I get it just right, I don't have to readjust the stocking, in front of return. The HTH, being almost a "powder" leaves the stocking much faster than others; even faster if you massage the stocking some. In front of my fastest return almost 2 lbs will be gone in a few hours, even if I don't massage the stocking, very important if you have pets that might play with it. The warmer the water the faster it disperses. I know this because I keep my pool open year round, and have to replace CYA pretty frequently due to frequent backwashing. I do have "dust bowl" conditions year round.

gg=alice

Winger 03

Sep 7, 2009
Frederick County, MD
mynewpool said:
Winger 03 said:
Give it about a week and see what happens when you test. How did you add via the sock method or through the skimmer?
I did the sock method. I kind of rigged it up by running a string line attached to the fence across the pool, and then dangled the sock from it in front of a return. It looked odd, but worked great. I know I am supposed to wait to test, but I thought I could cut the time a bit by using the sock method.

cheddar85

Feb 18, 2010
Houston, TX
I agree with GG, Wal-Mart CYA is almost a powder consistency, guess they changed something about it recently. It's all I've ever used too, I don't set foot in a pool store unless there's no other option.

Lil Davy

Jun 2, 2010
So, can someone explain to me why the stabilizer is put in a sock and not just poured into the skimmer?

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Lil Davy said:
So, can someone explain to me why the stabilizer is put in a sock and not just poured into the skimmer?
If you pour it in the skimmer, it will be captured in the filter. If you have to backwash in the week or so it takes to dissolve, you lose whatever hasn't dissolved yet. If you put it in the sock, it dissolves before entering the filter.

Lil Davy

Jun 2, 2010
but if I have a cartridge filter and dont ever backwash then i should be OK by pouring into the skimmer, correct?

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Yes, adding CYA to the skimmer is just fine as long as you aren't going to backwash. Pour slowly, with the skimmer basket in, but no skimmer sock.

Pisces

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
League City, Texas
I'm using the HTH from Wally....dissolves quickly with my sock in front of return method. I also periodically squeeze the sock during the process.

Other Threads of Interest