Is Data Cable Needed for Water Feature Pump?

HmnRcn

Mar 30, 2014
Visalia, CA
My pool is about 99.9% complete and when I got the “Here’s how everything works” spiel, the last thing I was told is, here is the Data Cable for your Superflo pump. It’s worth about $100 so don’t lose it. I was so busy trying to remember everything and worry about everything else getting completed, I didn’t even ask why it wasn’t installed.

So my question is, do I need it installed? My main pump is a Pentair Intelliflo 3hp that is linked to my Easytouch 8 and I can control everything with my phone. The Superflo pump only runs my water features (two sheer descents, two deck jets and a bubbler in our Malibu Step). The only thing I can control now from my phone is the on/off of my water features. Would installing the Cable allow me to change the RPM’s from my phone to adjust the height of the water features? It was my understanding that the Superflo only has three speed setting you can program so that would allow me to choose only these three settings from my phone if the Cable was connected. Am I on the right track or am I missing something?

With the superflo VS the only way to change speed externally like with your automation system is to use the data cable.

It is a relay based input signal so you will need relays that aren't being used at the moment to control the pump speeds.

You will be able to select up to 4 speeds with the data cable, speeds 1-3 and quick clean. When the superflo sees a signal from the data cable it bypasses all programing and run the pump at the rpm programed for the speed selected until the external signal is turned off.

In the event of multiple external speed signals being given to the pump the highest priority signal will set the pump speed, speed 1 is lowest priority and quick clean is the highest priority.

H & R,

Chuck's answer is perfect, I can't think of anything to add...

Except that your Pool Builder should be shot for not using another IntelliFlo so that you could have infinite water feature control... Sigh!!

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for the feedback! Now I guess my question is, how hard is it to install the cable myself? Since I have had water in my pool since Jan 28 and the spillover on my Spa still isn’t done, it is leaking water daily (hopefully just a valve) and my pump is still leaking, I don’t anticipate my PB sending someone out to install the cable for me...

I do currently have 1 open relay and the “solar” relay available. I was planning on connecting my landscape lights to one of these relays.

H & R,

Which pump is leaking and where is it leaking???

Just to double check.. what are all your relays being used for???

Pump/Filter to run SWCG
One Aux to run your SuperFlo

What are the other five being used for??

The cable just plugs into the side of the SuperFlo and then you will need to wire it to your EasyTouch per the manual... Page 5, Figure 4...

See this link..https://pentairpool.com/~/media/websites/pool/downloads/pumps/manuals/superflo_vs_variable_speed_pump_manual_for_model_342001_english.pdf

Thanks,

Jim R.

The pump seems to be leaking from the seal (which has already been replaced once).
I have not gone out and verified each of the relays yet but I was told that I have one left. Here is what I can figure each relay is currently being used for.
1) MainPump
2) Booster pump for water features
3) Pool lights
4) Spa light
5) Shelf light
6) Valves for Spillway from spa?
7) SWCG

Thank you so much for the link and talking me through this. Looks like I will be opening up my panel this weekend if I have time.

The pump seems to be leaking from the seal (which has already been replaced once).
I have not gone out and verified each of the relays yet but I was told that I have one left. Here is what I can figure each relay is currently being used for.
1) MainPump
3) Pool lights
4) Spa light
5) Shelf light
6) Valves for Spillway from spa?
7) SWCG

Thank you so much for the link and talking me through this. Looks like I will be opening up my panel this weekend if I have time.

H&R,

1) MainPump (The main IntelliFlo pump does not use a relay.. it gets constant power and is controlled by a serial data cable)
3) Pool lights
4) Spa light
5) Shelf light (Could wire this in with the Pool Lights and save a relay???)
6) Valves for Spillway from spa? (None of the valves use relays...)
7) SWCG (The SWCG must use the pump/filter relay to prevent the SWCG from working if the pump is not being told to run)

I guess my point was if you know what each relay does you might be able to find a workaround that would free up a relay or two... the EasyTouch has 8 "Feature" circuits which are like Aux circuits but do not have a relay. Sometimes installers will use an Aux circuit, using up a relay, when they could use a Feature circuit and save a relay. Feature circuits work when you do not have to control something with 120 or 220 volts.. So they can't control a motor, but can control a valve position, or IntelliFlo speeds.

As far as the pump leak... did the pool builder try to fix it or did they call in a Pentair tech? All you need to do is let Pentair know the problem you are having and they will come out and take care of it...

Thanks,

Jim R.

The input signal to control speeds on the Superflo pump can be 5-30v AC or DC. Also if you don't have external low voltage outputs one of the wires in the data cable has 5vDC power from the pump itself that you can use dry contact relays to signal the pump with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.