Is CSI more important than Ph?

Wire4money

Sep 12, 2021
Las Vegas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I can’t keep my Ph from rising and am wondering if I am overthinking Ph. I add MA when it approaches 8, but it jumps up .2 per day, and I end up adding 20 oz or so every 3 days. I feel like I’m tethered to my pool, and would like to leave town for more than a couple days. If I input the numbers in pool math, the CSI is good, even if the Ph goes up above 8. Should I let it go to see where it levels out?82A36013-C6ED-4BBF-AA3B-1DDBE6D5BB83.png

Thousands upon thousands of pool owners manage their water successfully without ever calculating csi. pH is the bell weather.

pH should not be rising like that. How are you testing?.

Your pH and TA will rise as you add your fill water with a TA of 130 ppm. Evaporation right now, unless your pool is covered, is pretty high. Your TA is surprisingly low.
My pH rises from 7.4 to 7.8 in about four days during normal operations (uncovered, adding fill water). TA stays about 80 ppm.

Your pH and TA will rise as you add your fill water with a TA of 130 ppm. Evaporation right now, unless your pool is covered, is pretty high. Your TA is surprisingly low.
My pH rises from 7.4 to 7.8 in about four days during normal operations (uncovered, adding fill water). TA stays about 80 ppm.
My TA was near zero after winter of battling Ph with little fill water (still had high Ph). Last weekend I added approx 8 lbs of baking soda to get it where it is. I can’t keep my Ph in check.

Your pH should not be that variable. What products are you adding? Do you have a spillover spa or other water features you run alot?

Your pH should not be that variable. What products are you adding? Do you have a spillover spa or other water features you run alot?
I have a waterfall I don’t run for fear of Ph rise. Pool is almost 20 months old, so assuming plaster is not it. I’m just adding standard Home Depot/Lowes Muratic acid. Chlorine is handled by the SWG. Am I a good candidate for borates? I feel I can’t go on vacation for fear of Ph climbing.

Borates should slow the pH rise. It will not reduce the amount of acid you add, just stretch out between additions.

There is no way you should ever have to add baking soda. Ever. I am concerned you are reading the pH as too high. Any chance of taking a picture, with a white background, and post it here next time you test the pH?

Borates should slow the pH rise. It will not reduce the amount of acid you add, just stretch out between additions.

There is no way you should ever have to add baking soda. Ever. I am concerned you are reading the pH as too high. Any chance of taking a picture, with a white background, and post it here next time you test the pH?
0D073B79-BA93-4585-B419-E1172192A723.jpeg
Test strips and Leslie’s are all in line with what I get.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Here’s how it’s been this week:

Monday 7.4

Tuesday 7.6

Wednesday 7.9 add 30 oz. To 7.3

Thurs 7.6

Friday 7.9. TA 80

So I’m reading it wrong? I’ll try 4 drops.
A pH of 8 should be purpleish color. I do not see that.

In your pool volume, my conditions would need about 12 oz of 31.45% MA every 4 days. That is with the pool uncovered and normal evaporation.

A pH of 8 should be purpleish color. I do not see that.

In your pool volume, my conditions would need about 12 oz of 31.45% MA every 4 days. That is with the pool uncovered and normal evaporation.
Here’s 4 drops. Still looks more purple than orange to me. Will I ruin my pool if I leave for a week and a half and not be here to add MA?

Attachments

• 122FC00B-7E72-4FA2-8BE8-6A94F47B1A58.jpeg
    122FC00B-7E72-4FA2-8BE8-6A94F47B1A58.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 34
What I do if I leave for a week or so and no one to add some acid, I use a floating chlorine feeder and put a puck in it. You might need two pucks. The acid in the puck helps to moderate the pH rise. You do need to account for the CYA addition.

Reactions: Flboy44
OK --
Still seems odd you are fighting this so much.
Next time you do a complete test, please input the results into Poolmath. There is no data on your testing so not sure what your other parameters are.

OK --
Still seems odd you are fighting this so much.
Next time you do a complete test, please input the results into Poolmath. There is no data on your testing so not sure what your other parameters are.
Not sure how to do that. This was last Saturday after I added 30 oz of MA:
Chlorine:4.0
Ph:7.3
TA:90
CH:300
CYA:60
Salt:3000

Are you using softened water for make up water? That CH is close to new fill water levels.

You are sharing your Poolmath app data, but nothing has been input in a couple years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.