Is Certified Pool Operator (CPO) course worth taking for your own pool?

kevinskii

Gold Supporter
Aug 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
We're in the middle of a new pool build. We plan on hiring a pool maintainer once it's finished, but I would prefer not to blindly trust this large investment and my family's health to the care of someone else. I would like to develop a fairly deep understanding of water chemistry and pool maintenance. TFP has been an excellent resource, and the "Pool School" forum is particularly helpful. I'm wondering if becoming a Certified Pool Operator might also be worth the expense? Has anyone taken the course just to maintain their own pool?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Something to read -- CPO Training - Further Reading

Following the TFP levels and Pool School and this forum is all you need.

If you wish to use a pool maintenance company, be sure it is only to clean the pool. Any chemical additions should be made by you based on your testing.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
You don't need to go thru that bother and expense. Everything a *residential* pool owner needs to know is in our Pool School lessons.

CPO training is geared more for public pools, and the local Health Department has different rules for public verses residential owner pools.

Maddie :flower:

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
get your certification right here on this forum reading the knowledge. :giggle:
I would argue that would give you a lot more usable knowledge than any commercially available course.