is all bleach from retail stores 6% now?

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

My HEB bravo 8.25% bleach is now 6% but it still says concentrated...what a farce. Not one decrease in price and now less bleach...

Anyone in the West Houston area have access to 12.5% bulk that can be purchased at reasonable price in 1-5 gal containers? I could save all my 1 gal containers and have a great solution, thanks, tstex

Yeah.... sad huh? Check out your local pool store for liquid chlorine. I can't buy it in Georgia but some states allow the sale. Some posters have said Walmart seems to be running out of the 10% so perhaps to Walmart they think the season is over as they put out the Halloween decor in July.....

Maddie :flower:

From Walmart.com

Great Value Cleaning Bleach, 1 gal:
  • For standard HE washers
  • For household and laundry use
  • Ideal for the kitchen, bath and utility rooms
  • Suitable for use on tubs, showers, counter tops, sinks, ceramic tile and vinyl flooring
Ingredients:
Inactive Ingredients: Other ingredients 94%

Ingredients: Other Ingredients 94.0%, Total 100.0%

Active Ingredients: Sodium Hypochlorite 6%

I use liquid pool shock (12.5%) for the pool. My wife buys concentrated Chlorox for the washer. What a croc, they don't even list the concentration on the bottle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For 10.5% there's a Pinch A Penny on Westheimer between Kirkwood and Dairy Ashford. They sell in bulk. I like the 2.5 gallon refillable since it’s easier for me to transport etc. 10% at Lowes (Kem-Tek) and also at Home Depot (HDX). The last two tend to keep it outside, so check freshness dates.

Last edited:
Up here in Canada I don't see the percent listed on any of our bleach bottles.
For those of us in Canada, definitely checkout Canadian Tire. 5L of liquid chlorine (10.8%) for usually $5.19. Sometimes about $6 when it's not on sale, which it usually is.

Leslies on Mason Road south of I-10 sells 12.5% chlorine in a box of four 1-gallon jugs for $15.99. If you do the math, that even beats Walmart's 10% chlorine--plus Leslie's is in a strip center where you can park at the door...and you don't have to go into Walmart! Their 31.45% muriatic acid price is better than Walmart, too. FWIW, I took a water sample to that Leslies store after a complete TF100 test at home, and their results were almost identical to mine. I second your disappointment in HEB. I don't even bother to look at the bleach aisle there anymore.

Try Fry's grocery store if you have them, they carry 2 pack of 1-gal 10% bleach for $5.99 here in AZ.
Hello to all,

My HEB bravo 8.25% bleach is now 6% but it still says concentrated...what a farce. Not one decrease in price and now less bleach...

Anyone in the West Houston area have access to 12.5% bulk that can be purchased at reasonable price in 1-5 gal containers? I could save all my 1 gal containers and have a great solution, thanks, tstex

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
Pinch a penny has 2.5 gallon containers of 10.5% for about $7.88, however, you pay about $17 the first time for the container. Best price I've found so far is at Home Depot on Fry and 99 (not sure just how far West in Houston you are). They sell 10% in 3 gallon packs for 9.98, or if you buy 4 (12 bottles) it is $8.98 each. I bought 12 bottles tonight and it was really fresh...19-191, which puts the date about July 10th. I don't like the waste of the bottles, although I do recycle.

I haven't asked, but I wonder if Pinch a Penny would refill my gallon bottles that I got from Home Depot? Does anyone know if they will allow you to reuse your own container?
EDIT Called Pinch a Penny and they gave me corrected prices (listed above). I also asked them about whether they would refill other bleach containers and the answer is NO. They will only fill their own container. Even without paying the extra $9+ for the container, the Home Depot HDX brand works out to be cheaper if you buy it 12 bottles at a time. I do have a significant twinge of conscience about recycling all those bleach containers, though....

Last edited:
My husband looked up the HEB Hillcountry Fare Bleach Safety Data Sheet and it lists the concentration as being 1-5% sodium hypochlorite by weight. Their Bleach is made by a company called Kik Custom Products, who I believe make many other store brand bleaches as well. If you ever want to know what is in a chemical product, look up the SDS.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.