Is algaecide always needed for pool opening?

We almost never suggest it, and some add a good amount of undesirables like Copper which will stain your pool with surprisingly little use.

Are you set up with a good test kit and familiar with Pool School?

I don't have the FAS test kit as it is not available in Canada. The pool is still frozen, so no testing of anything just yet.

The kit I have is the liquid chlorine test kit from Taylor...not ideal by any stretch, but better than a dropper test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure yet...no reason for it to be green, as it was closed properly, well sanitized and properly balanced...

Generally how it was closed is not the full determining factor. The bigger factor is when it was closed. If it was closed/covered when the water was still warm (above 60) the chlorine you put in it for closing will be depleted in a week or so due to any organic material in the water.. Then the algae has a chance to start growing. In addition when you open is just as important. If you wait and allow the water to warm under the cover then this is more time for algae to grow.

We always recomend - Close late, withteh water the colder the better. Open early, again with very cold water.

Generally how it was closed is not the full determining factor. The bigger factor is when it was closed. If it was closed/covered when the water was still warm (above 60) the chlorine you put in it for closing will be depleted in a week or so due to any organic material in the water.. Then the algae has a chance to start growing. In addition when you open is just as important. If you wait and allow the water to warm under the cover then this is more time for algae to grow.

We always recomend - Close late, withteh water the colder the better. Open early, again with very cold water.

Ok. I think temp was close to or below sixty. In a few weeks I guess I will find out!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.