Is Abalone Worth it in Deep Pools?

Parkerchick

Dec 2, 2020
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi All, Our Pebble Sheen is scheduled for next week and the PB is suggesting we add Shimmering Sea or abalone to the mix. Our pool is a remodel, no baja shelf though we do have a spa and a couple seating ledges in addition to steps, and it's 6.5 to 7 feet in the deep end. It's $300 for standard abalone mix which isn't a ton of money. My concern is we just aren't going to get a lot of bang for the buck considering the pool depth and lack of a baja shelf. I would love to hear from those of you out there with deeper pools and abalone. What say you?

TampaKathy

Gold Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Tampa, FL
I can't speak from personal experience but I've read that abalone can cause staining. If you type "abalone" in the search box you should be able to find some threads about it.

JJ_Tex

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
As Kathy mentioned above, we see quite a few posters that report staining from the abalone shells. Likely it is the organics breaking down causing the staining
The general recommendation is to avoid anything that was once alive in your plaster and go with glass or something else nonorganic if you was to add some pop to your finish.

Reactions: Kaylyn

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60

Parkerchick

Dec 2, 2020
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes I have been reading about the staining and was nervous. My PB is a certified Pebble Tec guy and he is telling me he has literally never seen this issue with Pebble Tec products. Several of their upgrades already have abalone Shimmering Seas added to the mix. Has anyone with Pebble Tec seen this issue? Are any of you with abalone able to see any appreciable difference in the deep end of the pool?

caligrl2

Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Central Coast California
I have a 7 year old aqua blue pebble finish and have the abalone shells I have had no staining. My deep end is 7ft deep when the sun is shining on my pool I can see them sparkle even in the deep end.

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
It matters WHERE they get the abalone shell from. As long as it comes from PebbleTec and it is a “pool grade” material, then it should be fine. There are manufacturing techniques that can remove the organic residues from the abalone shell so the brown staining doesn’t happen. It raises the cost of the material but it’s far better to pay a little more up front fir quality materials than face a plaster chip out job a few years done the road. Just ask your plaster installer about it and make sure the materials are from PebbleTec. The installer should have no problems showing you the bags of materials when they arrive on site.

Parkerchick

Dec 2, 2020
Scottsdale, AZ
It matters WHERE they get the abalone shell from. As long as it comes from PebbleTec and it is a “pool grade” material, then it should be fine. There are manufacturing techniques that can remove the organic residues from the abalone shell so the brown staining doesn’t happen. It raises the cost of the material but it’s far better to pay a little more up front fir quality materials than face a plaster chip out job a few years done the road. Just ask your plaster installer about it and make sure the materials are from PebbleTec. The installer should have no problems showing you the bags of materials when they arrive on site.
Absolutely will do that. Thank you for the tip.