Is a separate SWG timer good practice

Gordonzoo

Apr 8, 2019
Mass
I'm currently doing the wiring for my Core 55. I'm a bit over on my sizing as I have 18-K gallon pool. There are a couple of concerns I have. 1: I may have too much chlorine at 25% output as I can only set in 1/4 increments. 2: I noticed someone else had a severe corrosion issue with their unit. Could it be that the cell continues to generate a little extra chlorine if all power shuts off at once? I'm thinking any extra chlorine buildup that stays in the cell area is causing harm if it is not flushed.

I'm thinking a separate timer would fix both possible issues or is this not an issue and overkill?

Gordon,

I should not be answering your question just based upon your avatar.. :mrgreen:

If you have a single speed pump and the cell's power supply is connected to the same power, then you do not "need" a timer for safety reasons, as the cell can never work when the pump is not running...

But.. it make a lot of sense to me that with a big cell, you might want to run the pump longer than you want to run the cell.. If this were my system, I would put the cell on its own timer. This would allow you to run the cell for say 4 hours and your pump for 8 hours.. or whatever works best for your pool..

I doubt there is any "extra"" chlorine that stays in the cell after the pump is shut off...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm thinking a separate timer would fix both possible issues or is this not an issue and overkill?

If you're considering a VS pump in the near future, hold off on buying a second timer. Since a VS pump doesn't need a timer, you could use your existing timer for the SWG. You can probably dial in the SWG by changing run times +/- an hour or two for now.

Money's easy to spend when it's not mine. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.