Is a robotic cleaner worth it in my situation?

stygz

Jun 30, 2020
Middle Georgia
We are getting a 15x30 AGP installed in about a month. We will have dual floor drains as part of the package to get the best turn over. The pool is in direct sunlight with no trees near. In other words algae can happen quickly and we typically do not get debris in the pool.

Is there any value with picking up a Dolphin for AGP's in our situation? I have to wonder if between the dual floor drains and how the Dolphin's collection screen if this will do much for us since I am mostly concerned with cleaning minor algae and bugs that fall to the bottom.

I'm mainly bumping this for people more familiar with AGP's, but I wanted to clarify a couple things you said. Your robot does not do anything for algae. If you get algae, it is simply that your chlorine was too low for your CYA. Sure a pool cleaner may scrub some algae off the sides, but it wont kill algae and you will still have a water chemistry problem.

Weather it is a robot, polaris type, or manual vacuum it still just vacuums stuff off the bottom and potentially the sides. You just have to decide how you want to vacuum your pool. As with most things in life, the robot is the most expensive but the best and most convenient option.

With regards to "turnover" that too is a myth. You can turn your pool over a million times a day and still have algae. Just like the vacuum gets dirt off the bottom/sides, the filter just gets suspended particles out of the water. It too will not kill algae, only chlorine does that.

Hope that helps and hopefully someone will chime in on specifics for AGP cleaners.

Reactions: Mdragger88
My opinion, save some money and eliminate the floor drains. Use your saved money to get a robot for an above ground pool. The bot will clean all the bugs and dust off of the bottom whenever you see the need. The skimner will clean the surface. Your CYA and FC will mix just fine and it will be your #1 job to keep your FC in the target zone... FC/CYA Levels Here is more info for you .... ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Reactions: borjis
Here ya go !!! Cheers

Reactions: stygz
Yes, I completely understand the chlorine chemistry and algae growth. I was simply saying our heat and sunlight can grow algae very quickly If more than 2 days of skipping chlorine happens. For example, if we leave town for the weekend....

I guess what I am getting at Is the basket in the dolphin capable to collect the dead/dusty algae that will fall to the bottom or is it more geared towards larger debris?

Our budget is big enough for the dolphin and the dual drains.....as long as the dolphin basket will collect dead algae.

Take your floor drain budget and instead get a SWG. The drains won't help. The SWG will add chlorine every day whether you are out of town or not.

If you know your levels and have overhead room, going on vacation is the only times pucks are recommended. Even with a high CYA, I would put pucks in for two days to prevent an algae outbreak. If you get an outbreak with high CYA, you need to drain and refill before SLAMing. If you use the pucks, your CYA edges up a bit higher, but the algae, drain, refill, and SLAM can be delayed.

The pool I am maintaining is basic basic. One skimmer, one return, one manual vacuum (me), one manual chlorine dosing system (me). If I was doing it over myself, I would add a SWG first, robot second. Drains aren't even on the list.

Reactions: borjis
I am not interested in a SWG. We had one on our pool we are replacing and did not like the outcome. Cal Hyo or liquid chlorine will be our sanitation method.

We do keep some tablets on hand for your reasons you said above. We have a floater but could have an auto chlorinator installed at the time the pool is being installed. We keep our CYA in the 40's and it is working great for us.

Will the Dolphin basket collect dusty type algae?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.