Iron well filled please help

Okay. My goal is 31. I keep it at 31 every hour until my cya lowers to normal. Is this correct. And thank you
No. CYA will not lower without water replacement or expensive reverse osmosis.

Keep at 31 FC until it passes the three tests listed in the SLAM Process article

Meaning CC is .5 or less
The water is crystal clear, even after brushing
You pass Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

All three simultaneously. Generally if the water looks good then you test CC and if it's good, you do the overnight test. If it passes, you stop adding bleach and let FC come down to where you want it. If it doesn;t pass, you bring it back to 31 and do it for another day.

Thank you for clarifying. I understand now. My cc was a 1 and it needs to lower. I'm at 31 because the cya is high. This is a little stressful and overwhelming for me but I think I'm getting it. Dont want to screw up and have to restart

No. CYA will not lower without water replacement or expensive reverse osmosis.

Keep at 31 FC until it passes the three tests listed in the SLAM Process article

Meaning CC is .5 or less
The water is crystal clear, even after brushing
You pass Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

All three simultaneously. Generally if the water looks good then you test CC and if it's good, you do the overnight test. If it passes, you stop adding bleach and let FC come down to where you want it. If it doesn;t pass, you bring it back to 31 and do it for another day.

Hang in there. You'll get it. You have a good test kit, and now you know how to test FC accurately. You now understand what the FC/CYA Levels is used for, and you now see how the FC should match your current CYA. That's all that matters right now. Your CC may remain elevated for a while because of all the previous chemicals being eliminated, and that's okay. Testing and maintaining the FC is most important. I like to review the SLAM Process page daily just to ensure nothing is forgotten.

For regular FC testing, we prefer the 10 ML water sample. Just fill the tube to 10 ML, then add ONE heaping scoop of power. Mix and count drops until clear. Divide that number in half for your FC. Example: 14 drops equals an FC of 7.
Hello. I wanted to confirm. You gave me the 10ml water 1 heaping scoop powder counting drops and divided in 2 method. Can I still use this method when testing the cc. Does that make sense. Wanting to make sure I dont have to use the 25 MLS method when doing that.. last night I didn't do the overnight because we got tons of rain. Pool was over filled and drained it this morning. Retesting everything. Taking advantage of all rain possible now since I'm aware of what high cya is. I'll retest it to get my cya shock level again.

This morning after a hard rain last night I drained pool down to normal levels. Didnt add any more chlorine at this point. Stated to vacuum and I'm noticing a slight color change on the fiberglass. This is telling me iron staining is starting to happen. Assuming it's due to ph off balance with rain water? My husband has been on a emergency call. I only know to do the 5 drops for ph which looks high but dont know what to do next. Dont know what to do about new staining coming on. Should I add metal magic now

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If
Hello. I wanted to confirm. You gave me the 10ml water 1 heaping scoop powder counting drops and divided in 2 method. Can I still use this method when testing the cc. Does that make sense. Wanting to make sure I dont have to use the 25 MLS method when doing that.. last night I didn't do the overnight because we got tons of rain. Pool was over filled and drained it this morning. Retesting everything. Taking advantage of all rain possible now since I'm aware of what high cya is. I'll retest it to get my cya shock level again.
Above is right the cc was .5 this morning

Stains can be dealt with best after the water is clear. Just keep SLAMming.
Thanks so much for responding. I'm the least patient person in the world. With the pool water I'm trying to find my zen but its extremely difficult. The staining on the white fiberglass almost kills me. After wasting large amounts of money on products I'm trusting you guys and will follow instructions. Its pouring again here today. Will continue to keep chlorine levels up. What do you prefer for other products while I use your methods for ph and alkalinity. Again thank you

Thanks so much for responding. I'm the least patient person in the world. With the pool water I'm trying to find my zen but its extremely difficult. The staining on the white fiberglass almost kills me. After wasting large amounts of money on products I'm trusting you guys and will follow instructions. Its pouring again here today. Will continue to keep chlorine levels up. What do you prefer for other products while I use your methods for ph and alkalinity. Again thank you

For the staining, which you'll deal with after you pass the SLAM and chlorine levels come down, is Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). It works FAST. This guy tested the stains by just rubbing a Vitamin C tablet across
vc-jpg.29726

Hang in there! Don't panic. For now, maintain the SLAM . Keep in mind that once you are in SLAM mode with an elevated FC level, the pH will "appear" to be high. This is temporary because of the increased FC level. When the SLAM is over and the FC level drops to 10 or below, the pH can be re-tested and adjusted as necessary. If your new CYA is 50, then your new FC (SLAM) level is only 20.

Thank you!
QUOTE="Richard320, post: 1629496, member: 11031"]

For the staining, which you'll deal with after you pass the SLAM and chlorine levels come down, is Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). It works FAST. This guy tested the stains by just rubbing a Vitamin C tablet across
vc-jpg.29726

[/QUOTE]

Hang in there! Don't panic. For now, maintain the SLAM . Keep in mind that once you are in SLAM mode with an elevated FC level, the pH will "appear" to be high. This is temporary because of the increased FC level. When the SLAM is over and the FC level drops to 10 or below, the pH can be re-tested and adjusted as necessary. If your new CYA is 50, then your new FC (SLAM) level is only 20.
Thank you. I think I may have it beat after today ? I'm vacuuming this morning and switching out my cartridge filters. I only dropped 2 points last night. The pool is looking good other than the staining. Its taking everything within me not to put metal product in. Praying tomorrow am testing will be no more than 1 loss.

The pool is looking good other than the staining. Its taking everything within me not to put metal product in.
Progess is good. :goodjob: But continue wiht the SLAM Process instructions and focus on algae. That's very important before you begin treatmetn for staining. While you are still in SLAM-mode, here are a couple items to read ahead regarding metal staining.

Your best and most reliable method of metals management is to add sequestrant to the water and replenish it periodically. Sequestrant is a chemical that binds to the iron in the water so that it can't form stains or turn brown. Sequestrant breaks down slowly, so you need to add more regularly. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.