Iron stains.

Lmlarson

May 7, 2019
Michigan
I know there are a million posts about iron staining - I’ve read them all! So we’ve been struggling with iron for the last few seasons. We’ve done partial drain and refills but we are on well water and don’t have much option other than using well water. We’ve done the ascorbic acid and run a polyfil filter. Here’s where we are at: last year, we were getting lots of iron caught in the polyfil. This season, our steps are staining after our fc level gets over 3, but we can’t get any more iron out it seems. Polyfil is still white after running for days. Our water doesn’t turn green, the iron is just present as a stain. Am I correct in thinking that the remaining iron is in a form that can’t be filtered out anymore? Do I need to drop my fc down, treat with ascorbic acid to lift the stains, then treat with a sequestrant to bind the iron - at which point the polyfil filter can catch it? Has anyone else had success with this?

You may be in a fine line where the iron doesn't want to precipitate out of solution form unless the FC and/or pH are elevated. Doing that comes with the risk of staining, but that's my guess. If you're happy with the water, you could go the AA and sequestrant route. Now would be the time if your water is still cold to avoid algae which would just mess everything up.

You may be in a fine line where the iron doesn't want to precipitate out of solution form unless the FC and/or pH are elevated. Doing that comes with the risk of staining, but that's my guess. If you're happy with the water, you could go the AA and sequestrant route. Now would be the time if your water is still cold to avoid algae which would just mess everything up.
Right. I can lift the stain with AA but the polyfil doesn’t seem to trap it at all and it just precipitates back as a stain vs discoloring our water. We are in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan so pretty much the coldest part of the states at this time of year😅. Our pool temp is sitting below 60 degrees still. If this process doesn’t work we are back to square one I guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.