Iron Staining

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
Still consider my self a new pool owner even though it's been a few years. This group has been invaluable and I've had very little trouble (trouble free) with my pool.

The past two pool seasons I've noticed that the white plastic around the main drains has been discolored as well as the jet eyeballs. I could wipe the orange stuff off the eyeballs but couldn't get down to the drains. At the end of last season I also noticed some light orange staining on the pool stairs. With pool season here in Florida fast approaching I'm getting things ready and have determined that the staining is from iron (vitamin C test). Most of our fill water comes from rainwater but when we have dry spells we do use our city water to fill the pool and I've been told it's high in iron.

I've seen some older threads about the process in doing an ascorbic acid treatment but the one I found was from 2007. Could someone walk this newbie through the process? My pool is small and I found some reasonably priced ascorbic acid on Amazon that other reviewers had used for their pools. Looks like after the treatment I then need to use a sequestrant? And then use the sequestrant when I add more water with the hose? Also I read about having to drop the chlorine level to zero. Is that absolutely necessary? That's a bit concerning as I don't want to then have to fight an algae problem.

Help please!

One question though, do I put the Polyquat in before dropping the chlorine?
It's something you do once you test and confirm the FC has dropped very low-zero or close to it. If you add the Poly too soon, the chlorine will just break it down and it will be wasted. So let the FC fall as low as you can before adding it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.