Bwdonohues58

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 22, 2019
Homer, AK
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
OK. So I dumped all my water on Thursday, April 1. Cleaned things up on Friday and filled it back up by 2:30 Saturday. The water was a bit yellow, which it was when I first filled it last June. By Monday morning it was pretty clear but by yesterday it was TFP clear. See photo. Now my PVC pipes and the pump basket are quite orange, photo. I soaked the basket in some Kirkland chewable Vitamin C in a 5 gallon bucket and now it’s clean. Question: I assume that all the pipes are orange on the inside. Is that a problem? I think that if it’s not broke, don’t break it. But I dunno. BB89723B-9107-435A-879D-0BD06DEAE86E.jpegFD8FE9DC-181C-4025-82B8-B10850EF09E8.jpegFD8FE9DC-181C-4025-82B8-B10850EF09E8.jpeg8D3BDBC1-0C79-47ED-8DDB-7CB8878D4956.jpeg

Attachments

• B6AF7EAF-CE22-4877-A5E3-0B68588D9FBA.jpeg
    B6AF7EAF-CE22-4877-A5E3-0B68588D9FBA.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 6
What is your water source, is it from a well? Sounds like you have iron staining. I saw it first in my pool on the plastic parts. You might want to read these...
(BTW... and I have said this before, I really like your whale! More pools should have large cetaceans in them 🐋)
and

Thanks Mark. Nope, not a well. It's city water from a reservoir near my house here in Homer. I read a lot of articles about ascorbic acid treatments, etc. and I'm pretty sure we have iron in the city water, sometimes more at times. Now that it's not visible anywhere, I really don't care because the water has never been cleaner. I have ordered some new O-rings for my filter and I will open it up and clean out the carts in a few weeks, just to get rid of the rust-colored stuff I know is in there. I can see some orange inside the 4 return PVC pipes in the pool and I might just put some ascorbic acid in a sock and stuff it in there with the pump off, just to get rid of that. My skimmer wasn't taking in water until it all cleared up so it's still nice and white.

I'm doing a AA treatment right now for staining. I think my local water company is allowing more iron in the water since I see it on my home plumbing, but I know I used some iron contaminated pool salt as well some years back. It got pretty bad but it seems to me mostly on the plastic parts where their is more turbulent water flow. I know the inside of my pipes are really brown from it. I have a thread where I am documenting the process... and I posted some before and after shots of some of the stuff I have cleaned off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.