Iron persists! Time for water change...

Neworldjef

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2014
Monmouth Junction, NJ
Hi All - thanks for all the help and suggestions recently. I did the AA treatment twice (likely went too quickly on raising chlorine first time). Second time was very patient and still light staining is back - much better than before but returning none the less.

I'm considering changing all the water in the pool - 33K! Do any of you recommend before changing water I do AA and sequestrant to get all the iron in solution and then pump it all out? Is this the best plan? I did happen to receive my town's water lab results and iron does not seem to be a problem on their end.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Are u sure its iron & not copper?
Have u used any copper containing products such as algeacides or solid chlorine products (often have blue or 3/4 in 1 in the name)? I see u have a heater that can also be a source of copper.
Water exchange is preferable to reduce copper levels.
If it is iron - it likely came from the fill source & exchanging the water won’t do too much.
Here’s some info on how to get iron out
Can u post some pics of the stains & water? Also some current test results.

Reactions: Neworldjef
If it’s not from the municipality it had to come from somewhere- can u share the report?
Report attached. It says "2021" but it was delivered last week. Page 5 is iron reading "ND" (not detectable at testing limit). My town says the work on water pipes in my neighborhood could be the cause - stirring up metals as they replace old pipes. While my town has some wells serving us, the town water guy tells me my home is mostly serviced by a water company who gets water from lakes and reservoirs. Town guy believes work on pipes is the issue and changing of water should do the trick. Still do not know why neighbors with pools near me have not had this. My heaters is a few years old and I keep water balanced obsessively.

Attachments

• 2022-South Brunswick Water Report.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
Have u used any copper containing products such as algeacides or solid chlorine products (often have blue or 3/4 in 1 in the name)? I see u have a heater that can also be a source of copper.
If it is iron - it likely came from the fill source & exchanging the water won’t do too much.
Mdragger88 - I do not use any of those products. The stains come off easily with AA/Vitamin C tabs. Is this true for iron and copper? Or does AA removal indicate only iron? I have read all over TFP on this and had hoped for AA and regular sequestration.

I think there may be some misconception about copper.

I have always understood that copper precipitates onto your pool surfaces at first as light green but quickly turn dark, almost black. It doesn't respond to AA treatments

Copper is also sometimes given credit for green water but my understanding is it doesn't behave like that. It is a hard dark stain on your pool surfaces and difficult to deal with. Here's more reading Pool Stains

I think you have iron staining but I am not convinced replacing the water will solve your issue. Probably the sure-fire way is to put a water softener on your domestic water and use it as refill to gradually replace the iron laden water. It will take some time but the iron will be reduced to a point where it no longer stains.

Another possible way is to provide a massive dose of chlorine which will precipitate the iron out into visible particles and then they can be filtered from your pool. The issue with this is the particles are unpredictable. They may come out in suspension and get filtered or they may attach themselves to your pool surfaces, negating the whole process.

I think there may be some misconception about copper.

I have always understood that copper precipitates onto your pool surfaces at first as light green but quickly turn dark, almost black. It doesn't respond to AA treatments

Copper is also sometimes given credit for green water but my understanding is it doesn't behave like that. It is a hard dark stain on your pool surfaces and difficult to deal with. Here's more reading Pool Stains

I think you have iron staining but I am not convinced replacing the water will solve your issue. Probably the sure-fire way is to put a water softener on your domestic water and use it as refill to gradually replace the iron laden water. It will take some time but the iron will be reduced to a point where it no longer stains.

Another possible way is to provide a massive dose of chlorine which will precipitate the iron out into visible particles and then they can be filtered from your pool. The issue with this is the particles are unpredictable. They may come out in suspension and get filtered or they may attach themselves to your pool surfaces, negating the whole process.

Dave - thanks for your thoughts. I agree with you about the copper confusion. Why do you think water change will not solve? Especially if I put AA and sequestrant before draining?

Pics attached. Initials in one pic done with Vitamin C tablet. Chlorine 2 / PH 7.2 / Alk 70 / CYA 90. Iron and copper 0 (occasionally 1).

IMG_3855.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3856.jpg
    IMG_3856.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3858 1.jpg
    IMG_3858 1.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 5
I may be missing something - from where will you get the new water that has no iron?
Sorry for confusion and thanks for your patience. See above in this thread - municipal water results from my town. Undetectable iron. Town has been replacing water pipes in my neighborhood and seems likely this stirred up iron from old pipes as they change and flush system. Still do not know why my neighbors (very close - next door and 2 doors down) have not had issues. I have vinyl and they do not. not sure if that matters. Replaced my old heater 5 years ago and keep water balanced. Also no issues like this for 18 years and then municipal work on water pipes. Any thoughts Dave?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still missing something. Has the city told you they will stop letting iron into you water? (That's a serious question) How much will it cost to refill that large pool? Have you given any thought to a whole house water softener?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Still missing something. Has the city told you they will stop letting iron into you water? (That's a serious question) How much will it cost to refill that large pool? Have you given any thought to a whole house water softener?
Town believes with end of pipe work and flushing already done that refilling pool should work. Not sure if that is correct but that is what they believe. Cost of refill is about $300. Will whole house water softener remove iron and other metals?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.