Introduction from Orange County, CA

Feb 1, 2017
Fullerton, CA
Hi everyone!

I'm a new pool owner and have a ton of questions! I've been researching a lot lately on our new purchase and wanted to thank the site, mods, and members for such an amazing resource. I'm hoping to learn as much as possible to self-manage my pool since I feel the previous pool maintenance person could have done a bit more (I believe the parameters are ok). He's been maintaining this pool for the past 20 years, but when I started looking it over the pump basket (not sure of the correct term) and skimmer filter (unsure as well) were completely packed with pine needles to the point of clogging the flow. So, I bought a test kit and took a few pictures to see if anyone can help identify the components and offer any tips. Also, I'm getting bubbles in the return line so I check all the fittings, water level, etc. I'm hoping it's not a crack in the intake lines. Thanks everyone!

FC 3.0 ppm
CC .1 ppm
pH 7.8 units
TA 50 ppm
CH 950 ppm
CYA 43 ppm

free photo hosting

Last edited:
Hiya Finalboss :) Glad you found us! Which test kit did you buy? Was it one of the two we recommend?

Here is a reference for you on desired levels (which can require tweaking at times)-
Pool School - Recommended Levels

For example, folks out west often have high CH due to evaporation as well as hard fill water. It can be managed to help avoid scaling but you have to tweak the pH and TA. Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Let us know if you have any particular questions. I;m sorry to say I can't see your photo for some reason?

Yippee :flower:

Hi Skippy,

Thanks for the welcome. I just fixed the pics and the test kit I used was the Taylor k-2006. I'm going to tackle the chlorine (bleach) and ph (muriatic acid) first and then figure out the high CH soon based on the Pool Math calculator. I don't know how to drain the pool (Poolmath suggested 73%) so I have to read a bit more first. Any tips on eliminating the bubbles? I checked the water level (in the middle of the tiles at skimmer) and the pump glass seems ok. Do I have to purge the lines somewhere?

Ok, you've got a good test kit so we can check that off and trust your results.

The pool is plaster, so you want to monitor your CSI numbers when you plug the test results in to PoolMath. Plaster pools need calcium in the water so to prevent it leaching out of the plaster itself. But it doesn't need that much (950ppm!) if you can swing doing some draining and refilling. I'd suggest a 50% drain/refill and see where you are. I'd also suggest testing your fill water to determine how high that is because that will always be a factor.

The pool looks like it needs more chlorine and good brushing. Some stains may improve over time.

It almost looks like the DE filter vomited at one point and hurled DE over everything on the equipment pad.

I see a puck floater in the pool. Are you using pucks? That will raise your CYA level over time.

Yippee :flower:

- - - Updated - - -

Also two articles which may help you identify the bubble problem:

Pool School - Leak Detection

Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

The pucks were from the previous owner. I didn't want to change anything until I did the test. Now I'll add chlorine and some muriatic acid, brush the pool, and hopefully change out the water soon.

Thank you for the analysis and pointing me the right direction! Looks like I have more reading to do~ Cheers~

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.