May 5, 2021
New Braunfels, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Howdy,

We purchased our home a couple of years ago and inherited our pool as well as the pool service guy whom the previous owners raved about. There were initially some algae issues which the pool guy got under control reasonably quickly.

After paying $200/month for 2 years to watch him spend 5minutes a week on our pool only to constantly see the same algae issues(green & yellow) we let him go last week. It seems apparent, after reading some of y'alls posts that he subscribed to the chlorine puck method of maintenance because our CyA results were very high. After attempting to test the water myself and not trusting my abilities I took a sample down to Leslie's and had them run it. The results were:
  • Free Chlorine - 0.22
  • Total Chlorine - 0.26
  • pH - 7.9
  • Alkalinity - 75
  • Calcium Hardness - 840
  • CyA - 164
  • Iron - 0
  • Copper - 0.4
  • Phosphates - 0
  • TDS - 2200
Their recommendation was a partial drain/refill and then re-test. I drained about 1.5' of water out which I'm sure wasn't enough and re-filled. The second sample I took down to Leslie's came back with these results:
  • Free Chlorine - 0.15
  • Total Chlorine - 0.15
  • pH - 7.8
  • Alkalinity - 94
  • Calcium Hardness - 834
  • CyA - 148
  • Iron - 0
  • Copper - 0.6
  • Phosphates - 0
  • TDS - 1900

I am currently in the process of partially draining down again and will see how that goes but would appreciate any tips or suggestions y'all may have! My water clarity is good but the pool seems constantly dirty as well as having the aforementioned algae issues. Filters have been cleaned within the last couple weeks also.

Like I said any help is appreciated!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: How were you testing the water (and CYA) yourself? Do you have a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C? That would be step #1 if you don't. We never trust store testing. But if we assume (hate to do that) your CYA is high, then you'll need to continually exchange more. With all the recent rains, I wouldn't go any lower than 1/2 at a time, but you have to get the CYA down to about 50-60, 70 at the highest before really being able to balance the pool and remove algae via the SLAM Process. We're in for much more rain starting this weekend if predictions are correct. Stay out of the pool store. We'll be happy to help, but we need YOUR own test results.

I would order one of the aforementioned tests (I got a K-2006c, but wish I had gotten the TFT-100, for what it’s worth), and in the meanwhile, add 5ppm of chlorine daily with liquid chlorine until you can test the water yourself. :)

In a shed in the backyard.
Some probably went bad in the heat, but the R-0013 CYA reagent might still be good because it's more of an inert substance. Tomorrow under some good sunlight you should try a CYA test if you can. That's what I'm most concerned about right now.

CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Some people like to squirt enough solution to go line-by-line for a better feel. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
how would I figure where half is?
That's a tough one honestly. I know we've only got another 20 min or so of light remaining, so probably getting pretty close based on the pic and not wanting to go too low in the shallow end. Better to be safe than sorry with previous rains we've had. Nice pool!

Appears you have extensive staining. Probably copper. If you want to try and remove those, it is best to do it before you drain, as you will need to drain after treatment.

Ok, need you seasoned pros to explain something to me that makes zero sense and let me know what I should do.

CyA Results
5/8/21 - 164 - Leslies Accublue
Drained 1/3 and refilled

5/11/21 - 148 -Leslies Accublue
5/13/21 - 150 - Taylor K2006(leftover reagent from previous owner)
Drained 1/2 and refilled

5/14/21 - 150 - Taylor K2006(brand new reagent)

Water looks good, a little dark algae on the bottom that is loose and looks like dirt. Chlorine does not register on my test.

I have 3 gallons of 12% and 4 gallons of 10% as well as cal-hypo.
Thoughts? Advice?

Leslie's was probably off and maxed out at the top, which explains why it's not dropping as expected. That or you're still adding more CYA through tabs/dichlor/trichlor/or regular old CYA, which is probably not very likely.

How did you measure the 150 with the K2006?

I used the dilution method. First time came back between 70-80(x2) so I figured =150. Second time was at 70(x2) so =140.

Just got my K2006 delivered. Re-ran all the tests. Here’s what I’ve got.

FC: 0.2
CC: 0.2
pH: 7.4
TA: 250
CH: 1,050
CyA: 140

RATS! :brickwall: I was hoping that CYA would be lower. I'm sure you were too. :( Well, that's still the #1 priority as it does no good to adjust other chemicals that will just go down the street. Try to get the CYA down to about 70 or below. We can work with that and it's a good summer CYA number.

But hey, I just noticed ... that CH? What? You might check that one more time to be sure. 10 drops or #10, 3 drops of #11, then each blue drop is 25 ppm. Let's be sure because that's quite high after all the water you already changed.

Once you are finished with any water exchanges for tonight, I would add some chlorine just to keep the algae away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.