Intex SWG says low salt, K-1766 says not

maedgeer

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2020
roseville, ca
Hey all. My pool was first opened April 2020 the required amount of salt was added - 400lbs. I've never added any since. In my tests throughout this season my K-1766 test kit (which seems dead accurate) comes back with a salt level of 4200 ppm which according to the Intex manual is on the high side. Just last week, my SWG starts throwing a low salt error. I tested the water again and I'm still around the 4200 ppm mark. Any ideas? I checked the SWG plates thinking they might need cleaning (have never done it) but they look like new - consistent dark color. My gut says my test is right and the SWG sensor is off but given I've never added salt, seems like it's feasible the SWG could be right. If the SWG is wrong, any experience with Intex on what I need to replace? Thanks!

AFAIK there is nothing serviceable in an Intex SWG. If you canot find a salt level that makes the SWG happy then it is dead.

Not sure which Intex unit you have, but if you go to their website, some parts are avail.

as @ajw22 stated - its likely dead. Feeding it more salt probably won’t help as most of them only like around 3000ppm anyway.
Most of those units have a 2 year warranty so I would check on that before buying a new cell or a new unit. You can look your model & its manual w/warranty up on the intex corp site. Hopefully u can procure a proof of purchase.
Chlorinate manually w/ liquid chlorine until u get it sorted out - follow the chlorine portion of the FC/CYA Levels

As mentioned and linked by @RJ-45, Intex does sell replacement cells for their SWCG units as well as other spare parts for those and other items (like filter units, etc). Replacement availability depends on age, model, etc.

I’m not a SWCG expert, only have the Saltron Mini for my hot tub so far, but I’m under the impression that a low salt reading when the salt tests normal means you need a new cell. With other stuff I’ve read I’m also not surprised the cell could be dead in a year and a half. The suggestion here is to oversize cells, Intex cells are certainly not oversized.

Still, at ~$65 for a replacement cell it may be worth a shot to replace the Intex one rather than do something else? Heck I’m expecting 1.5-2 years on my Saltron Mini cell and that’s $120 to replace.

Hi. Been through variation of this (and therefore tons of reading and calls to Intex) recently. When you get a 91 and you know you have enough salt, Intex will tell you it’s the titanium electrode. You can try the vinegar cleans recommended elsewhere in this forum and online first to see if that solves it (which supposedly works well for a lot of folks). If yours is <1 year old, it should be covered under your warranty. If more than 1 yr old, you should be able to buy it as replacement part on intex website, availability pending model type. If you replace the titanium electrode and still get error message (91 or 92 for example), you may need a new control panel, which usually has a 2-year warranty. Also, please consider lowering your salt level well under 3600 before you do too much trouble shooting bc Intex SWGs don’t like salt levels at the extreme ends of the range. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.