Intex sand filter to Summer waves elite conversion

Jun 23, 2017
Acton, CA
Hello,

I am in the process of changing over the filter that came with the pool to an upgraded Intex 2100gph sand filter. I have the system all figured out, except for a way to plumb in a line in the existing pump housing to maintain the 1.5" line throughout the system. I am looking at this item on Amazon, and will need to drill a hole to accept it in the wall of the housing:

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Large-Strainer-Inlet-Assembly/dp/B003ATFZYE/ref=pd_sbs_86_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003ATFZYE&pd_rd_r=BQFAZJQ9J6EXTMW7FJGQ&pd_rd_w=MUV2c&pd_rd_wg=lwtiv&psc=1&refRID=BQFAZJQ9J6EXTMW7FJGQ

I think I can make the connection, and this should be water tight, and maintain the 1.5" line size. Has anyone done anything similar? I have searched the forum and see a lot of ways to adapt to the 1.25", but none that adapt to 1.5" throughout. I am sure lots of folks have good flow with the 1.5 to 1.25 adapter, but I would like to try and maintain the 1.5".

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
chumash

Welcome to TFP!

I was going to suggest looking around because as you've found, lot's of people have made these conversions. Might be simpler to stick with the 1.25". In any case, I wanted to say hi, and welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Welcome!

Is this one of those pools that has the pump and filter in the skimmer housing?

The items you linked to are standard Intex wall fittings that accept the Intex 1-1/2 screw collar hoses.

Thanks for the replies. I want to use Intex wall fittings so they will mate up to the plunger valves. I assume if they work in the wall of the pool, they would also work in the plastic housing for the existing pump? I just haven't seen any thread where someone has done this. I will try to get a pic to illustrate what I am considering.

Yes, the pump is in the housing. I plan on drilling a hole in the side of the housing and mount an Intex thru fitting to connect to a plunger valve.

I think you are going to have issues with that Intex fitting sealing on the smaller diameter of the skimmer housing.

The solution in the video I posted seems pretty straight forward.

Be sure to update us on how you ultimately do this!

I agree domct203, that is a very straight forward solution. However, it looks to me like they adapted to the 1.25" fitting. I want to keep 1.5" flow through the system to get proper flow as designed for the pump. I plan on drilling a hole to install the fitting into the hard plastic of the skimmer. I believe the fittings are designed to go through the liner, so I think they will be OK for this application as well. I will post photos of the mod as I get it done.

Thanks for the advice, it's good to hear from people that have been there, done that.

Im running the same filter. I adapted the 1.25 inlet to the pump from the pool to the pumps 1.5 and then cut in the supplied outlet to 1.5.. Absolutely no issue been running over a month and have not back washed yet and its still sitting at 3-4 lbs pressure. In theory when you start putting in your plunger valves its going to be reduced to 1.25 or less with the elbow it has to go around. Every elbow and valve reduces flow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I finally finished the mods to the pool to use the Intex fittings. I removed the existing filter and strainer. Marked the hole position, and I used a hole saw a bit smaller than the intended hole, and finished it off with a dremel tool. I figured I can always take more off, but cannot put it back.
20170630_160343.jpg20170630_160411.jpg

I used a 1.25 X 1.50 flexible joint with a PVC cap in the 1.5" end to cap off the old pump discharge. Next, I removed the return, and used the gasket to mark the new hole around the existing discharge hole. Then, carefully cut it out with an xacto knife. The hole is still well within the double layer material. I used a gasket on both sides of the pool liner and attached the plunger valves as I went to prevent leakage. (there is water in the pool)
20170702_122824.jpg20170702_122837.jpg

Everything seems to be working well, no leaks. The only thing is I need to keep the water level up mid-way to the strainer hole or the suction of the pump sucks in air as the intake sits higher than the old one. I will give an update after using it awhile.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.