LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I keep reading in the forum that most believe that Intex pump/sand filter combinations are notoriously undersized. I'm taking down the pool for a couple weeks to pour a concrete pad to put it on. Should be back in business by the end of September. (Still time for dip in southern Cal.) While I'm at it, I thought I'd upgrade from the 1/2 HP 2100/1600 gph pump and 12 inch sand filter that came with the pool. There are a couple options I am considering. A larger pump/sand filter combination (Intex or another brand 3/4 or 1 Hp single speed) that's selected by the manufacturer. Or a 2 speed pump (3/4 or 1 HP) with a larger sand filter also selected by the manufacturer. Or, because most of the 2 speed pumps run at 1/2 HP the majority of the time, can I simply purchase a larger sand filter only (for example, an Intex 16" sand filter or another brand) and connect it to my 1/2 HP Intex pump? I'm aware, and I believe my thinking is correct, that the flow rate of the pump should match the flow rate of the sand filter. Any suggestions? Is there somewhere I can go to determine/calculate the proper pump GPH/sand filter size?
I'm just running it up the flag pole to see who salutes it..
Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.