Intex pool opening

Jun 20, 2016
Brunswick GA
We have a 5000 gallon aboveground Intex pool. We live in Georgia and when we got this latest storm our pool cover blew partially off. We noticed our pool was growing bugs and was completely green. We hadn't been adding any chemicals to it over the winter. So I started the filter back up and have been following the shocking procedures outlined on this website. I had to readjust all of the chemicals and the only one I have not done yet is the calcium hardness because I need to get to the pool store to get some. It's 150 currently. We have been vacuuming still as well because there is a lot of debris on the bottom of the pool however after vacuuming for a bit you can no longer see anything so we have to stop. My water is now very cloudy. How do I get it clear again?

Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest starting over with a full drain, clean, and refill if it were mine. However, if you want to SLAM it (follow our shock procedure) you need a proper FAS/DPD kit for testing Chlorine, and I don't see thst listed in your signature.

Before vacuuming more, try netting/skimming or otherwise removing all the debris you can. The limited filtering capacity you have with this type of pool will be a major hindrance if its really dirty. If you choose the latter route, we will be here to help you through so just let us know.

If you are trying to clear the pool with the intex cartridge filters then use a stocking over the cartridge to help clear it quicker. Also clean the filters daily
When I had cartridge filters I had two sets, so I could just swap in a clean one and then clean the dirty one, ready to swap in the next day

See if you can alter your filter output to really swirl the pool water around. That helps consolidate the debris to the middle of the pool for easier vacuuming

When you vacuum go as slow as you can, so you dont kick up as much of the debris

We have a 5000 gallon aboveground Intex pool. We live in Georgia and when we got this latest storm our pool cover blew partially off. We noticed our pool was growing bugs and was completely green. We hadn't been adding any chemicals to it over the winter. So I started the filter back up and have been following the shocking procedures outlined on this website. I had to readjust all of the chemicals and the only one I have not done yet is the calcium hardness because I need to get to the pool store to get some. It's 150 currently. We have been vacuuming still as well because there is a lot of debris on the bottom of the pool however after vacuuming for a bit you can no longer see anything so we have to stop. My water is now very cloudy. How do I get it clear again?

I have the dpd chlorine test with the powder for exact chlorine numbers.
Your signature in your first post list a Taylor K-2005 DPD test kit. That is not the same as the FAS/DPD test kit we recommend as the DPD only reads FC up to 10ppm, and is a color match test which is not accurate enough for the OCLT & CC measurements.

Is your test indeed the color matching DPD K-2005, or is it the drop counting FAS/DPD that we recommend?

Can you please post a complete set of test results including:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Last edited:
Yes I do you have the one with the powder that gives you the exact amount of free chlorine and combined chlorine by counting the number of drops. I didn't realize my test kit didn't come with that so I bought it separate. I have to test the pool water tonight so I will post numbers then.

Yes I do you have the one with the powder that gives you the exact amount of free chlorine and combined chlorine by counting the number of drops. I didn't realize my test kit didn't come with that so I bought it separate. I have to test the pool water tonight so I will post numbers then.
OK great! Looking forward to those test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.