Intex Filter Leaking BAD at Leaf catcher when not running.

May 17, 2016
Cusseta Al
Sunday we hooked the Intex sand filter to our pool small leaks but few adjustments was fine until Sunday late I turned the pump off. Stared Leaking BAD at the leaf catcher, (Note does not leak when running) So far as of today its leaked almost over 2 inches of water from pool. I ended up having to Close the Valves off on the pool. both intake and return. Any suggestions why this happening ?

There is something wrong with the leaf catcher. It is typical that suction side leaks, leaks between the skimmer and pump, only leak when the pump is off. When the pump is on there is enough suction that it prevents water from leaking out and it usually sucks in enough air that it may cause the pump to lose prime.

As to the specific leak, it could be a crack, loose plug or bad seal/gasket. Can you pinpoint were the water is leaking from? Is it the pump strainer or do you have a separate leaf canister/catcher? A picture is worth a thousand words or in my case about 20 minutes of typing ;)

There is something wrong with the leaf catcher. It is typical that suction side leaks, leaks between the skimmer and pump, only leak when the pump is off. When the pump is on there is enough suction that it prevents water from leaking out and it usually sucks in enough air that it may cause the pump to lose prime.

As to the specific leak, it could be a crack, loose plug or bad seal/gasket. Can you pinpoint were the water is leaking from? Is it the pump strainer or do you have a separate leaf canister/catcher? A picture is worth a thousand words or in my case about 20 minutes of typing ;)

Thanks, I'll look at the seal/gasket when I get home. I'll take pics so that it will explain more.

I am having the exact same issue with my brand new Intex 26647EG. It leaks from the connection of the leaf catcher to the unit, about 6" diameter ring with the double o-ring. No matter how I position the (part 29 in the parts diagram) part or how much I tighten down the (part 17) nut, it leaks badly when not running. I even tried making my own rubber gasket, now wondering if I should silicone the whole thing on???? Did anyone find a solution to this?

I am having this same issue as well with my brand new Intex filter - Intex 26651EG. Works good while running. When I turn it off it does not leak right away, but begins to leak-takes about 8 minutes then it starts to drip directly from the connection where the pre filter basket slides into the actual pump. I can see the water slithering out of there. It then drips continuously. I left a towel there for a few hours and it was drenched and a puddle was forming. No choice but to turn it back on. I tried taking it apart and putting back together 2x. No difference. I'm pretty decent with these things so i'm quite sure its assembled correctly. Thgere is really nothing to it. Slide it on and tighten. Is it defective? Makes very little sense as the O rings are moist with grease and in good shape. Brand New. Very disappointed as the actual filter is working great. Pool is clean. No air in the basket aside from teeney bubbles here and there. Nothing to concern myself with. Purchased thru Target from a third party called Spreetail... This thing gets glorious reviews but I guess not as good as many have said it is...Anybody have any ideas?

Sunday we hooked the Intex sand filter to our pool small leaks but few adjustments was fine until Sunday late I turned the pump off. Stared Leaking BAD at the leaf catcher, (Note does not leak when running) So far as of today its leaked almost over 2 inches of water from pool. I ended up having to Close the Valves off on the pool. both intake and return. Any suggestions why this happening ?
I just hooked up a new Intex SX2800 and the same thing happened. Leak between the leaf catcher and the impeller housing. Apparently it’s east to push the 1st or both O-rings off of their grooves with the tight plastic opening of the leaf catcher.

I applied my food grade silicone grease that I put onto my home water filter O Ring onto the double O-rings and the plastic that slides over them. Watched carefully to slide the leaf catcher over the O-rings and snugged up the plastic nut to put them together. Careful not to over tighten that connecter. I also used plumbers tape on ALL threaded connectors in the system.

Fired up the pump and 0 bubbles in the leaf catcher. Pump sounds smooth and most importantly no leak between these components.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just hooked up a new Intex SX2800 and the same thing happened. Leak between the leaf catcher and the impeller housing. Apparently it’s east to push the 1st or both O-rings off of their grooves with the tight plastic opening of the leaf catcher.

I applied my food grade silicone grease that I put onto my home water filter O Ring onto the double O-rings and the plastic that slides over them. Watched carefully to slide the leaf catcher over the O-rings and snugged up the plastic nut to put them together. Careful not to over tighten that connecter. I also used plumbers tape on ALL threaded connectors in the system.

Fired up the pump and 0 bubbles in the leaf catcher. Pump sounds smooth and most importantly no leak between these components.

The new "Big O-Ring" (P/N 10100) from Intex is slightly thicker than the original o-rings (P/N 11457). After I submitted a claim, it took a week to receive the part. It works well. Zero leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.