Intex 32x16 Skimmer Suggestions - What Works Best?

tyburke

Jun 27, 2020
Iowa
All, first year pool owner and looking to make pool life more enjoyable vs always trying to maintain it. I'm discovering that the included intex skimmer is okay but perhaps not outstanding.

Do those magic skimmers work? (skim around I think its called)

Or do you just do it right and put one in the wall? If so which one?

Thanks!

Ty, it's been a while since you posted this question. Surprised no one has responded. COVID must have their tongue. Are you still evaluating your options? I'm going to move this thread to the AGP sub-forum in hopes that it gets more action. Post back as much as you need to.

Hi, Ty. I did try the Skim Around and did not like it at all. It didn’t work as well as advertised, and was cumbersome. The Intex over the wall skimmer worked much better.

I eventually installed a thru wall skimmer, and that has been the best performer, by far. If you leave the pool up year round, that is what I recommend.

I am an intex over wall skimmer user and it works ok if it gets enough flow from the pump. Currently running the intex 2500 gph cartridge filter (much better) from last years 1000 gph filter (not so good) that i had from inflatible ring pool. It doesnt skim like a thru walled one will but it does get a lot of junk. If/when we get a larger pool from our little 10 foot round i will investigate going a thru wall skimmer for that to try to keep more debris out of pool and off of bottom.

Intex skimmer worked great for me once I made a solid mount for it, and upgraded from the included cartridge pump. I’ve since upgraded to a “real” above ground pool and I can’t say a “real” wide mouth skimmer is any more effective. A little easier to hook vacuum, that’s all. Nothing wrong with installing a through wall if that’s what you prefer.

Attachments

• 1DBE5601-9E9D-4148-8476-B311BB603D2D.jpeg
    1DBE5601-9E9D-4148-8476-B311BB603D2D.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 0356746D-694B-4EB9-A7FC-B4C5750D002E.jpeg
    0356746D-694B-4EB9-A7FC-B4C5750D002E.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 13
I put a Hayward skimmer through the wall of my pool. It captures quite a lot of leaves before they have a chance to sink to the bottom. See link in my signature.

I have the same pool,...so glad I put in a Hayward through the wall skimmer!!

Attachments

• IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 23
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.