Intex 26679EG Sand Filter Pump and Saltwater System

Addisonm06

May 23, 2022
Michigan
Hi All!
Recently purchased this pump as an upgrade for my prism 15'x48" pool. Curious if this pump is able to be used without the "Salt Water" device.

I thought i read that you could put the pump in a "forced pump" mode that would only utilize the pump/filter and not the saltwater portion.

My reasoning is that:
1. My wife doesnt like the feel of saltwater
2. We leave our pool up year round and i have read numerous posts about how harsh saltwater is on the metal posts: ie. rusting occurs quickly/frequently.

The amount of salt needed for that device is 2800-2900 ppm - an extremely low concentration of salt compared to most swg’s.
All forms of chlorine add salt - if you have been using liquid chlorine or any powdered chlorine or tablets you have salt in the water. Muriatic acid also adds salt. For this reason it is recommended that you test your salt level BEFORE adding salt as to not add too much. Many people are surprised by how much they already have.
Water causes rust- salt or not.
Low ph (acidic water) also has much more of an effect on corrosion than the low concentration of salt required to operate a swg.
Can u return the unit? Generally it’s best for them to be two separate units anyway so if one fails you can just replace that one component.
The manual should instruct you as to the operation/settings & how to run the pump only. Basically set the swg to zero & the pump runtime to whatever u want.
The swg cannot operate without the pump running (as a no flow condition could cause an explosion in the cell as the chlorine gas builds up) but the pump can operate without the swg running.

The amount of salt needed for that device is 2800-2900 ppm - an extremely low concentration of salt compared to most swg’s.
All forms of chlorine add salt - if you have been using liquid chlorine or any powdered chlorine or tablets you have salt in the water. Muriatic acid also adds salt. For this reason it is recommended that you test your salt level BEFORE adding salt as to not add too much. Many people are surprised by how much they already have.
Water causes rust- salt or not.
Low ph (acidic water) also has much more of an effect on corrosion than the low concentration of salt required to operate a swg.
Can u return the unit? Generally it’s best for them to be two separate units anyway so if one fails you can just replace that one component.
The manual should instruct you as to the operation/settings & how to run the pump only. Basically set the swg to zero & the pump runtime to whatever u want.
The swg cannot operate without the pump running (as a no flow condition could cause an explosion in the cell as the chlorine gas builds up) but the pump can operate without the swg running.
Thank you for the great knowledge! it really sounds like from your explanantion that a "poorly balanced" pool is moreso the cause of rust. So its imperative that levels are balanced.

Unfortunately i cannot return the sand filter/pump; i purchased it slightly used for less then $75... i could always resell it; but i dont think i could find comparable for anywhere near that price around me (ive been watching).

I did see in the manual that you can run the pump on "FP" which is just "filter pum" and essentially do as you said and set the chlorinator at 00.

Reactions: Mdragger88
So just to clarify- you have not had a/the swg in use on your pool ?
I assume your wife is basing her opinion on the feel of either someone elses swg pool or the ocean?

If you maintain Recommended Levels the water should be very comfortable.
Here’s some more info for u
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Test Kits Compared

IMHO, a saltwater pool is more comfortable than a non-salt pool. The salt level in a sw pool is only 1/10th of seawater -- about the same as human tears.

I had a salt Intex pool for several years. I think my last one lasted 4 years before the supports rusted out. I felt that was a pretty good lifespan for one of them.

IMHO, a saltwater pool is more comfortable than a non-salt pool. The salt level in a sw pool is only 1/10th of seawater -- about the same as human tears.

I had a salt Intex pool for several years. I think my last one lasted 4 years before the supports rusted out. I felt that was a pretty good lifespan for one of them.
Great comparison/information! Im sure she wont mind (or know the difference) lol. 4 years is pretty good! Hoping it lasts longer, but that seems to be the "general" life span; sw or non sw.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.