Intex 18x52" ultra frame outlet conversion to PVC mystery? Change while water in pool

Intex 18x52" ultra frame outlet conversion to PVC mystery? Change while water in pool

I've seen many posts on here showing the after / end result of converting an outlet to PVC on this pool.. but i cant seem to find any info as to what threaded adapter was placed in the old outlet hole (the one that goes to the pump).

I want to goto 1.5" pvc.. originally i thought i could use the home depot box adapter and a threaded ring to make it happen, but obviously currently i have no threaded attachment to the existing outlets..

In pics online you can see a threaded nut and then the screw cap ontop of that (the one that looks like the original return adapter).. but whats in the outlet hole? The existing outlet hole is the plastic tube that you shove the strainer through and tighten down a tube on the other side with a clamp.

Do you just use some adapter (model? link?) push it through the existing hole somehow and thats it?
I originally thought maybe this adapter would be it, but its probably too thick for the hole and doesnt have the threaded ring that goes against the pool

This model plunger/strainer has the white ring, but is probably too thick and its $49 (yikes)
https://www.amazon.com/Model-Intex-...id=1492009827&sr=1-12&keywords=intex+threaded

I hastily already filled the pool back up to its normal levels, so id imagine if there is any cutting of the old holes to be done that I'd have to lower the water back down again.
Hoping to avoid this (or wait till next year)

Does anyone have any details on this process?

Thanks in advance

Re: Intex 18x52" ultra frame outlet conversion to PVC mystery?

Update.. so it definitely seems the correct part is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010EHVS9A/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_awdo_x_w7K7ybM9MRBMK (11236 $10~)

And that a hole must be cut bigger using the washer that comes with it.

Can it be done without draining.. i may test and find out by placing a bowl inside the pool over the hole area.. pull the hose off outside and see if it holds.. then just cut with exacto knife, put the new strainer on.. and i'm ready (i think) to simply attach a right angle bend 1.5" pvc pipe directly to the threads from the new strainer (?).. basically meaning that a box adapter is NOT needed going this route?

I'd imagine the same might be possible in doing the return valve, ie: creating a new hole for the return valve that comes with the hayward and pvc piping BOTH returns inline.. hold bowl over desired (lower) spot for the 2nd return and cut the trace and install the new return eye ball.. then attach pvcs, ball switches etc..

Re: Intex 18x52" ultra frame outlet conversion to PVC mystery? Change while water in

Yep, using the amazon link to the intex larger strainers for each with 1.5" threads on the outside basically, while still full.. and also cutting a hole for the hayward eyeball on the inlet (a second inlet, down from the main one about 16" or so).

Re: Intex 18x52" ultra frame outlet conversion to PVC mystery? Change while water in

Ok, I put the new fitting in a large bowl, and had my wife hold it over the area that I wanted to cut out, underwater. I traced around the gasket, using it as a pattern on the outside of the pool. As I cut out the hole in the pool wall, the bowl drained out through the new larger opening. Once the cutting was complete, I reached through the new hole and pulled the new fitting into the hole from the outside. I then installed the gasket and nut, and the hose before my wife pulled the bowl away. We lost a gallon or two of pool water. Just an FYI remember the intex parts are not 1.5 inches, but are 40mm. If you are staying with intex parts, or plan on using the game intex 40mm to 1.5 inch adapters, then you are good. I cut out my pool wall and installed Hayward 1.5 inch fittings, so I could use regular 1.5 inch plumbing parts that are widely available

Ok, I put the new fitting in a large bowl, and had my wife hold it over the area that I wanted to cut out, underwater. I traced around the gasket, using it as a pattern on the outside of the pool. As I cut out the hole in the pool wall, the bowl drained out through the new larger opening. Once the cutting was complete, I reached through the new hole and pulled the new fitting into the hole from the outside. I then installed the gasket and nut, and the hose before my wife pulled the bowl away. We lost a gallon or two of pool water. Just an FYI remember the intex parts are not 1.5 inches, but are 40mm. If you are staying with intex parts, or plan on using the game intex 40mm to 1.5 inch adapters, then you are good. I cut out my pool wall and installed Hayward 1.5 inch fittings, so I could use regular 1.5 inch plumbing parts that are widely available

Ah this makes sense now.. thanks for the description.. I rolled my whole mods i'm doing and have done to my pool into this thread with pics and more to come as well, for reference: My 18x52 Intex Ultra Frame Build - Mods: skimmer change, inlets and outlets and PVC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.