Intex 12'x24' Build #2 - Advice needed: 13'10"x25'10" dimensions didn't work

Jul 10, 2018
La Crosse
Attention Intex Rectangle Experts -- Need your help and advice!

After our disaster last summer: Haste definitely makes waste... pool fail. Suggestions for rebuild welcome!

I spent a lot of time digging around the site, trying to find old pool links I had saved but didn't quite fit the bill. Anyway, after scouring for dimensions and fresh pool build ideas, we followed the wooden frame idea with the dimensions that it should be 13'10"x25'10" to the middle of the boards that the legs sit on. We tried that, and we didn't even come close. I've read other posts were they put it on a 14'x26' pad and it was almost falling off.

My question is, how much of a difference does it make if the inside of the frame isn't level with the frame boards? We didn't put foam or extra sand down (there was already a nice 1-2" layer of sand down to begin with and my partner-in-crime assured me it wasn't going to make a difference. I, not having the science to backup why it would be a big deal couldn't defend getting foam to put on in the inside to level it up to the boards. Is the inside of the frame being a tad lower really impacting where the legs are ending up?

Here are pictures of our current build and situation. (Actually we're draining the pool because we were hopeful the legs would pop out further and they just didn't budge).
103914 103915 103917
1) Frame being built. So level, so confident, such hope.
2) Far side legs while pool just starting to fill. We were nervous at this point, but relied on the 13'10" that a lot of people seemed to use!
3) Deck side legs sit nicely in their spot, even with the pool full.
4) We let it fill overnight, really hoping those legs would get to their spot. But they didn't. So now it's unlevel because the deck side legs didn't move. That's a long way to go to reach the middle of that board.

So now we are draining it to see if we can't lighten the load to move the frame sides over a bit. The crew is working their tails off!

If you feel like you have any advice that could be helpful while we wait for the drain, let me know. I'm hoping to avoid a full drain, but my hope yesterday didn't do me any good, so I don't have hope for that either. Thanks TFP'ers!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is what we used for inspiration/dimensions to build the frame/setup--wanna give credit where credit is due:
103909 103910 103911
Dimension pictures from this post: planning the install of 12x24x52 intex pool

This inspiration from @slroten thread: 32X16X52 Intex Rect Pool - Paver spacement/measurements

And this beautiful setup from @racerboy6996 thread: intex 16ftx32ftx52in install

Hi there, I am of no use to you as we just bought our 12x24 Intex and are in the process of putting it together, for that I apologize. I will however stick around hoping the more seasoned Intex owners come to your rescue with their knowledge.

Me too! We paused the drain because we had to go out of town. I'm sure we'll pick the process back up this week or this weekend. I think the plan is to drain it enough so we can move the far-side boards in a bit. (and avoid having to move the whole pool). Hopefully I will have an update for you soon.

My advice for you: spend time to level the ground. use wood pavers instead of cement (although some on the forum say cement is fine as long as they're thick enough, ours were 2" thick last year and most of them cracked right away-the rest broke during the flood). and be sure to drain the pool a bit if you're expecting a large amount of rainfall. Otherwise, the pool rocks!

I am thinking that you not having the pool bottom level with the wood blocks is causing problems. You want the pool bottom level with the blocks/pavers that are holding up the legs.
With the pool bottom being lower than the legs is putting a ton of extra stress on the frame, they are meant to be level with the legs. I would get either the foam or something to get the pool bottom level with the wood.

Good luck and keep us updated.

I am thinking that you not having the pool bottom level with the wood blocks is causing problems. You want the pool bottom level with the blocks/pavers that are holding up the legs.
With the pool bottom being lower than the legs is putting a ton of extra stress on the frame, they are meant to be level with the legs. I would get either the foam or something to get the pool bottom level with the wood.

Good luck and keep us updated.
I think you are right on. The foam is worth the money, I used a little sand over the compacted choke then half inch foam. It feels really nice under your feet.

Yeah, @sammckin - our legs barely reached the front of our paver/frame. I had no way of explaining to my husband in a logical way that 1-1/2" is a lot of a difference to raise up the pool liner so that it would land on there correctly.

You and @Blacklisted think that raising up that middle will do the trick and not to move those boards in?

What if we left it a bit lower and moved the boards in, think it will ruin the frame?

Yeah, @sammckin - our legs barely reached the front of our paver/frame. I had no way of explaining to my husband in a logical way that 1-1/2" is a lot of a difference to raise up the pool liner so that it would land on there correctly.

You and @Blacklisted think that raising up that middle will do the trick and not to move those boards in?

What if we left it a bit lower and moved the boards in, think it will ruin the frame?
If you remove the boards the legs will likely sink into the ground. I would keep the boards and raise the middle flush with the boards using packed sand and rigid foam board.

I'm about half full not, my legs started on the front of the pavers and slowly creeping out now. I will post some more pics after dinner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I would raise the middle or dig in the boards. And the sand can wash out and it won't compact like a crusher dust/dg etc. That is meant to compact. Take a look at my build I used dg and am very happy with the outcome. It's not soft as sand or foam board but it's solid as a rock and I'm not worried about it sinking or getting unleveled.

I would raise the middle or dig in the boards. And the sand can wash out and it won't compact like a crusher dust/dg etc. That is meant to compact. Take a look at my build I used dg and am very happy with the outcome. It's not soft as sand or foam board but it's solid as a rock and I'm not worried about it sinking or getting unleveled.
Good idea digging out the boards, maybe that foam to split the difference.

Well, after many resisted "I told you's," my husband said if I got the foam, he'd put it under the pool. Ended up going with 1.5" thick foam to match the thickness of the boards. And voila, seems to work much better. We'll see how it progresses over the summer, but it seems to be decently level and much sturdier in case of another major disaster. And is definitely a major relief! Now we just need it to be nice enough to get the water temp up!!!

IMG-0480.JPG IMG-0481.JPG

[don't mind how dirty the pool is, haven't taken post-cleaning pictures yet]

Reactions: sammckin
Well, after many resisted "I told you's," my husband said if I got the foam, he'd put it under the pool. Ended up going with 1.5" thick foam to match the thickness of the boards. And voila, seems to work much better. We'll see how it progresses over the summer, but it seems to be decently level and much sturdier in case of another major disaster. And is definitely a major relief! Now we just need it to be nice enough to get the water temp up!!!

View attachment 105862 View attachment 105863

[don't mind how dirty the pool is, haven't taken post-cleaning pictures yet]
I was wondering what happened to you guys! Looks great, good choice on the foam. Filling the last few inches will push the sides out straight, it did on mine anyway. Happy to see you got it sorted, I waiting on some warm weather too! Keep us posted, it looks great.

Filling the last few inches will push the sides out straight, it did on mine anyway.

It's funny you say this. I've repeatedly told my husband to fill it to the seam. He refuses with a "water displacement" argument. I think he's nervous because last year we had the one corner lower than the rest and a bunch of water would go through the opening and make it sink lower and lower... we'll see how it is once there are a few of us in there and see how he feels. :) :)

It's funny you say this. I've repeatedly told my husband to fill it to the seam. He refuses with a "water displacement" argument. I think he's nervous because last year we had the one corner lower than the rest and a bunch of water would go through the opening and make it sink lower and lower... we'll see how it is once there are a few of us in there and see how he feels. :) :)
Good plan, I'm kind of doing the same thing. I filled to the seam and had 2 kids in it for a couple hours this weekend, they were the only ones brave enough to get in with the cold water. They splashed out a little bit, I figure it will find its own happy fill level with some use.

I don't know what it is with the non-pool husbands -- they've never read the first word on TFP, and fight every suggestion you make! Mine argued about leveling, about pavers, about the TFP method, and now he's muttering about water displacement and how much is going to splash out of the pool.

You keep on doing what you know is right -- he'll come around!

Reactions: sammckin
I don't know what it is with the non-pool husbands -- they've never read the first word on TFP, and fight every suggestion you make! Mine argued about leveling, about pavers, about the TFP method, and now he's muttering about water displacement and how much is going to splash out of the pool.

You keep on doing what you know is right -- he'll come around!
LMAO, the roles are reversed in my house. I have tendency to over build/engineer everything I do, but what I do usually lasts. My wife thinks I'm just avoiding her projects by putting so much time and thought into my own.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.