The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I'm in the process of interviewing pool builders for my upcoming build in The Woodlands. Not sure if my experience is unique to the Houston area or not. I've interviewed 8 PBs so far.

1. Asked for a pool with no main drain (my pool will be 5 ft at its deepest). They all looked at me like I was crazy.
2. None of them thought about prevailing winds with regard to skimmer placement.
3. Most of them were convinced the salt needed for a SWG would destroy my deck.
4. They were amazed that I didn't need to shock or backwash the filter on my previous pool in California.
5. None of them heard of a Stenner pump.
6. I asked about electrical surge protection. None of them had previously incorporated that into their plans.
7. A lot of them tried to convince me to get an in-floor system, UV, ozone, etc..

So far, I have a good feeling doing business with only one of the PBs I've interviewed. I'm hoping they come up with a good plan that's sensibly priced.

Reactions: Divin Dave
I wouldnt say we push it. Its mentioned alot here I agree. But remember the robot changed the way pools are cleaned nowadays. I dont use main drains anymore and push robots. Powered cleaners use alot of electricity compared to a robot and many run boosters on top of that. I like to keep things simple for end users and less plumbing and valves makes for easier winterizing and care on the pool. Now with shallow standing pools like 5ft deep ends its wierd to step on main drains. It's a myth that they do alot for water recirculation the average pool does not have a valve for main drains only. Deep returns make a huge difference in temp balancing. Yes you can brush to the drain and clean that way but few do it that way anymore.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.