Intermatic Transformer for Volt Lights

pmsmith2032

Jan 11, 2011
Northern Illinois
I recently purchased an Intermatic transformer (ML200RT) for a low voltage landscaping system I am planning. I am planning on using Volt and Paradise fixtures and using LED bulbs bought on ebay. However, I contacted Intermatic to make sure the transformer was magnetic and has an AC output (which it does). The rep I talked to says it does but that many manufacturers require a Class 2 type of transformer rating for LED lights and the Intermatic transformer is not. The rep said class 2 means it meet the UL, National Electrical Code & ANSI/NFPA 70 approval. I'm not sure what all this means, how important it is, and if this rules out the transformer I bought for LED lights. Thanks in advance for any help!

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
If you are using the transformer for underwater lights a class 2 rating is essential, required by code and a very sensible safety precaution. If you are using it for landscape lighting then it doesn't make much difference.

Class 2 transformers are specifically designed to make it impossible for the transformer to ever short high voltage to the low voltage side, which could be deadly in a swimming pool. A regular transformer can short in that way, and even though the odds of that happening are extremely low, the resulting danger is so high that it really isn't a good idea to go with any but class 2 for underwater lights.

pmsmith2032

Jan 11, 2011
Northern Illinois
Thanks Jason. The transformer is strictly for landscaping lights (all will be kept at least 10' from the pool). The rep at Intermatic seemed to indicate that a class 2 transformer was required for LED (and not halogen) which didn't make any sense to me.

Ksnewman

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I have also used Volt lighting and the rep at Volt said that I could use any magnetic transformer. I didn't see the need to use theirs with only 2 of their LED lights as the 300 watt transformer was a bit overkill.. I went ahead and used a pool rated even though lights were more than 10 ft away from pool. Lights are working great. I have them tied into my Easy Touch and have been using them for a couple of weeks.

Durk

Jun 14, 2007
New Jersey
I'm using an ML200RT with eBay LED bulbs in Malibu fixtures. This the third year. None are within 10 feet of the pool. No problems so far.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.