Intermatic Timer Dead

David0408

Oct 16, 2017
San Antonio, TX
So I went out to manually turn on my filter and nothing. My voltage meter says that the wires are hot but I get nothing when I flip the switch. No humming or anything. I checked all the breakers. I guess my timer is bad? If there’s electricity in the wires then the timer must be bad right? Let me know if there is something else I should check. Thanks in advance.

Please explain exactly how you're testing the voltage and what readings you are getting.

If it's 240 volt timer, you have to test from terminal 1 to 3 and get 240 volts and you have to test from terminal 2 to 4 and get 240 volts with the timer on.

You can't test line to ground unless you disconnect at least one of the wires from the pump.

I’m not using a multimeter but rather just a Klien voltage tester. I touch the wires in the timer and it flashes red. I’ve lost power somehow because my Polaris doesn’t come on either and it’s not tied to the timer. May have to call the electrician.

If you’re not comfortable with electricity, then it would be best to call an electrician.

If you feel comfortable working on this, post a picture of the timer and get a multimeter to do some tests.

Any basic meter from the hardware store should be a good choice.

Once you get the meter, check YouTube for a few instructional videos.

Then, post a picture of the timer wiring and we can go from there.

If it was working and then stopped, take off the trip arms to see if the clock motor still won’t move the dial. If not, its probably the clock motor. (That does not rule out jammed or broken gears, but that’s unlikely.)

You can buy them on line.
AFAIK, the clock motor is the only serviceable part.

Ok, the incoming power has a green ground wire going to the power terminal on the timer. That's not correct.

Check the voltage between terminals 1 and 3 to see what the reading is.

Leave the timer off.

You're going to have to figure out why there's a green ground wire connected like it is.

Was this working previously like it is wired?

Who wired this and where does the power come from?

Do you have a picture of the whole area?

What breaker goes to the timer?

Is it a single or double breaker?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From the breaker, the power goes through the little box, and then up into the timer. Yeah, the timer was installed about 6 years ago and has been working fine.

Attachments

• 804243B7-0A5A-4E12-A2F1-353A2A3ABC55.jpeg
    804243B7-0A5A-4E12-A2F1-353A2A3ABC55.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 13
  • C1691110-CB80-4541-9D79-73348D5DD0B9.jpeg
    C1691110-CB80-4541-9D79-73348D5DD0B9.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 16
  • CDFC4718-D758-4134-9EC2-CF860C9769C8.jpeg
    CDFC4718-D758-4134-9EC2-CF860C9769C8.jpeg
    632.3 KB · Views: 17
Based on what I can see, I'm going to highly recommend that you get a qualified electrician to check everything and bring it up to code.

What you have is not correct or safe.

I would shut off the breaker and leave it off until the electrician can redo it as needed.

The circuit breakers should be gfci.

The polaris booster should be on the same power supply as the pump with only the polaris switch between the common power supply and the polaris booster pump.

The pump switches should be outdoor rated with waterproof covers.

I would ask the electrician to replace the breakers, switches and switch covers and rewire the Polaris to be powered only when the main pump is powered and to do anything else they think is necessary to bring it up to code.

Bad breaker. Now I know how to use my multimeter to check each breaker. Easy fix. Going to replace three breaker boxes to bring it all up to code. 20k job. Insurance pays for it all. No one has had a problem with how the timer is wired. Glad to have it all cleaned up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.