Intermatic timer - 110 vs 220. How do I replace my timer?

imureh

Jun 17, 2016
Katy
Hi folks, happy new year. Did try and do some research but it went out the door when I removed the cover for the intermatic timer. In the attached the pic, the timer on right with the red box around the pic is the one that has gone bad and only controls the polaris cleaner. However the timer on the right needs to be on in order for the cleaner to run. I have a few questions:

1. What kind of timer do I need? Is the one in the pic a T104?
2. Do I simply remove the connections and just add them exactly like they are back on the new timer?
3. Any other issues you see that I may run into?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2415.jpg
    IMG_2415.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 19
i,

The timer on the right is being powered by the timer on the left. I need to see under the black safety cover on the left timer.

The right timer seems to be controlling 240 VAC, but I can't tell if the motor is being powered by 120 VAC or 240 VAC.

Does the timer no longer keep time, or does it just not turn on and off?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi folks, happy new year. Did try and do some research but it went out the door when I removed the cover for the intermatic timer. In the attached the pic, the timer on right with the red box around the pic is the one that has gone bad and only controls the polaris cleaner. However the timer on the right needs to be on in order for the cleaner to run. I have a few questions:

1. What kind of timer do I need? Is the one in the pic a T104?
2. Do I simply remove the connections and just add them exactly like they are back on the new timer?
3. Any other issues you see that I may run into?

Thanks
Time clock mechanisms that came in that box had longer white motor wires that allowed the motor wires on the second clock to be placed on the LINE terminals (1 and 3) of the first (right-hand) clock. A new T104M (what you need) will not have wires long enough to do that.

You can remove the wires from the old clock at the motor in the back and, with butt connectors, small wire nuts or WAGO connectors (Home Depot) lengthen the new wires. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which, just be sure to use the LINE terminals from the right-hand clock to power the left. It won't work correctly otherwise. After that just hook it up exactly as it was.

i,

The timer on the right is being powered by the timer on the left. I need to see under the black safety cover on the left timer.

The right timer seems to be controlling 240 VAC, but I can't tell if the motor is being powered by 120 VAC or 240 VAC.

Does the timer no longer keep time, or does it just not turn on and off?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Remove the timer and confirm the motor is a 208V-240V motor. If so it is a T104.

Yes.

Thanks both, yes the drive on the timer does not spin so stays stuck in one place. I will remove the timer tomorrow and share more pics. I am not sure why the pool builder has the left timer controlling the pool cleaner timer, I guess its to ensure the pool is running when the cleaner is on?

Thanks both, yes the drive on the timer does not spin so stays stuck in one place. I will remove the timer tomorrow and share more pics. I am not sure why the pool builder has the left timer controlling the pool cleaner timer, I guess its to ensure the pool is running when the cleaner is on?
If the main pump is not running when the booster goes on the booster will run dry and be severely damaged (and quickly, too). You should always set the booster to go on at least 1/2 hour (1 hour is better) after the main pump. Its called "safety wiring," been done that way for decades, one of the only economical ways to protect a booster pump. It doesn't guarantee the system will be full of water, but it works 99.99% of the time.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Remove the timer and confirm the motor is a 208V-240V motor. If so it is a T104.

Yes.

I was able to pull out the timer, Please see attached pic and seems to be a T104 timer. There are a couple of white wires coming from the timer on the left as well but I plan to connect everything back as it is....the left is a lot more complicated...

Attachments

• IMG_2419.jpg
    IMG_2419.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 10
Yup, that is a T104 but as @1poolman1 said you will find the white wires on your replacement are too short for your setup and you will need to splice in a section of wire.

img_2419-jpg.467646

Reactions: imureh
Yup, that is a T104 but as @1poolman1 said you will find the white wires on your replacement are too short for your setup and you will need to splice in a section of wire.

img_2419-jpg.467646
Thanks, just ordered the below from Amazon

I will just use a wire nut to attach the two? Would the white wires not just disconnect from the old timer and connect into the new one? or they can't be removed and will need to be cut?

The end of the long white wires that go into the motor cannot be removed without cutting them.

Reactions: imureh

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Saved me $140!! Much appreciated

How about chipping in a bit of the savings to help keep the lights on here? We are all volunteers but the server has costs...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.