Interesting Conversation with a TheCoverGuy Sales Rep

DangerBoy

Oct 4, 2018
Calgary/Alberta
I'm in the market for a new hot tub cover so I've been talking to a few of the Canadian mail order companies asking questions about various technical details about their various upgrade package.

When I was chatting with a young lady sales rep at theCoverGuy in Burlington, ON, I asked her about what the upgraded vapour barrier was and she told me that with that upgrade you get 8 mm plastic. I said, "8 mm? That's nearly a third of an inch. Don't you mean 8 mil plastic M-I-L instead?"

She said, "Nope, it's 8 mm".

I said, "You are confusing two different units of measurement. Sheet plastic thickness is often measured in Mils which is not at all the same thing as millimeters".

She said, "I've been selling hot tub covers for like years and I know what I'm talking about. We use 8 mm thick plastic. You know, like milimeters on a ruler."

I said, "Well I'm a professional engineer and know a lot about material specs and measuring systems and I'm telling you, no one makes 8 mm plastic sheeting and what you're talking about is 8 Mil plastic which is only about as thick as a thick sheet of paper at most".

She said with a bit of a snicker, "How nice for you. I've been selling hot tub covers for years and I know we use 8 mm plastic for that upgrade."

I said, "You're completely wrong. Eight Mils is not the same thing as 8 mm and what you're selling is 8 Mil plastic sheeting there. Go ask your supervisor and see what they say."

She dismissively retorted, "I don't have to ask anyone about it. I've been selling hot tub covers for years and I know I'm right; it's 8 mm plastic."

At that point, I realized there was no convincing her so I just moved on to another topic. :brickwall:

I remember when I was in my twenties and knew absolutely everything too. :roll:

Sounds like what happened with the Mars Climate Orbiter.

The team at Lockheed Martin in Denver used English units while the team at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California used Metric.

I imagine that at some point, some new engineer questioned which units were being used and they were dismissed by an older engineer who said that they were sure which units were being used.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.