Bronze Supporter
Feb 12, 2019
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We just replaced our Pentair WhisperFlo single speed with a new professionally installed VSF pump (011056). It's powered directly/continuously from the breaker (not through a relay). IntelliTouch sees the pump via the RS-485 connection as evidenced by the pump display being disabled. But IntelliTouch appears unable to turn the pump on despite setting up appropriate circuits for the various speeds/flows. Here's the specifics on the automation equipment:

IntelliTouch I9+3 (vintage early 2009)
UOC Firmware Version 1.110
UIC Firmware Version 1.100

ScreenLogic and Protocol Adapter
5.2 Build 738.0 (current version)

I'm able to set up the VSF in the ScreenLogic2 Configurator, but nothing works.

Is this simply an issue of updating the firmware in the outdoor and indoor panels? The current release is 1.19. I've read the release notes for all revisions and nothing stands out as screaming for the update, but perhaps that will solve everything (including the pesky cyclic shutdown of the pump when in spa heat mode).

Any advice/insight would be appreciated. It's a great pump, but an unnecessary costly addition unless I can get IntelliTouch to control it.

Thanks,

Hey guys,
Your intellitouch system firmware doesn't support the VSF pump. VSF was introduced in firmware 1.160, so you need to be running at least that (the latest 1.190 supposedly has some VSF fixes but I don't know what they are specifically)

Tom

Thanks for the replies. Pentair tech flashed the UOC and UIC to 1.182 (a beta release) yesterday. That solved the VSF operations problems. I had mentioned to him there was a 1.19 release but he stuck with the 1.182 already loaded on his laptop. Not clear if 1.182 = 1.19 or not, and if the 1.182 that was flashed contains the VSF fixes mentioned in the 1.19 release notes. Guess I can check to 2020 date rollover fix mentioned in the notes to see.

One thing I've discovered is that a high RPM circuit setting (used for chemical addition at the pool return) won't run while IntelliTouch is running a scheduled program (in this case a 30 GPM circuit). That running scheduled circuit must first be turned off in order for the VSF to kick up to the high RPM. If I instead change the circuit from a high RPM to a high GPM and then activate it, the flow does bump up. I had to change the TDH limit from 30 to 40 to get to 3450 RPM without an alarm. To me this looks to be a potential firmware bug not allowing a ramp up from a low GPM to a high RPM. Possibly hard for the software to determine which is the higher setting.

Mike,

Glad you were able to get it running...

I personally can't think of a single reason why anyone would use the GPM settings... RPM is the only thing you need and it is a lot less complicated than trying to switch back and forth.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I know this is an old thread but I just hit the Intelliflo VSF with old Intellitouch firmware issue. It actually DOES work if you switch the intelliflo config to "Intelliflo 4" which is just VS with no flow/gpm control, just RPM. I had to reset all the settings to correct RPMs instead of GPM but it seems fine, going full blast when spa is on etc.

I didn't dig deep enough and just ordered a VSF to replace my 12 year old VF that was about to go (leaking seal, corroded motor body). When I plugged it in it saw the pump but could not control it. Started researching what it would take to upgrade Intellitouch firmware or Maybe upgraded to Intellicenter, which I still may do, but nice I didn't have to for now Intellitouch still working fine.

Hopefully this may help someone searching for this issue in the future, as this is the thread I hit when looking.

Reactions: ogdento
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.