IntelliflowXF - Plumbing

darinclifton

Jun 2, 2019
St. Louis
So the IntelliflowXF seems to be a great pump, yet I don't see any "normal" filters that can accommodate 3" plumbing, any thoughts? I am in the final work on my pool design would like some feed back. Certainly my return line can/will be 3" but will dropping the supply to 2 or 2 1/2" be a problem? To clarify, I have a large water feature that I am using a dedicated IntelliflowXF for and would like to use the same pump for the normal filter side so I have a redundant pumps if the filter pump were to ever go out.

Planned pool size approximately 12,000
Water feature 9' wide x 5'6" tall

Attachments

• pooldia.pdf
    135.1 KB · Views: 17
The suction is most critical.

You need to know the flow rate intended for each pipe.

For suction, you want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec. For returns, you want to keep the water velocity below 8 ft/sec.

Size.......6 ft/sec......8 ft/sec.
1.5"...........38...............51 gpm
2"..............63...............84 gpm
2.5............90.............119 gpm
3.0".........138.............184 gpm

What is the maximum flow rate for the water feature?

The suction should be 3" regardless. Why is the water feature return line plumbed into the suction of the filter pump?

If you need maximum flow then consider an automated filter bypass but a dedicated feature pump would be a much better choice. Your proposal is needlessly complicated.

An AF-180 would be a more efficient pump for the water feature.

Last edited:
Why is the water feature return line plumbed into the suction of the filter pump?

If you need maximum flow then consider an automated filter bypass but a dedicated feature pump would be a much better choice.
There 2 sumps for the water feature, the idea is that we will circulate a small amount of water while we are running the filter pump to keep those clean when the water feature is not being used

Attachments

• poolFeature.jpg
    poolFeature.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 13
The IntelliFlo XF claims better efficiency but a lower WEF number.

Innovative hydraulic isolator creates faster priming and is turbulence free for increased efficiency.
WEF 5.6 THP 3.95
IntelliFloXF Variable Speed Pump

WEF 6.1 THP 3.95
sku-page

If the price is close, I think that I would get the XF. If the XF is a lot more, I would get the regular 011028 model.

Last edited:
Reactions: darinclifton
Once you figure out that the water feature provides 1 minute of visual pleasure, and pushes up the pH, the use would be reduced to a “impress” moment....plumb accordingly, your pool, your money...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.