mrjetson707

Sep 7, 2021
Martinez, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just got my new pump. Pentair intelliflo vs 3hp. I'm wondering what the optimal RPM setting is. I had it installed because if I installed it, it voids the warranty. the installer set it to 2000rpm and said I don't ever need to change it. seems kind of odd for a vs pump to never change the speed. Is 2000rpm a good speed? the electrical for my old pump was 15amp breaker and he said this one needs 20amp breaker so he set max rpm to 3250 saying that the breaker should trip below that. not sure if I'll ever need to run it that high anyways. would 1000 rpm work fine for my normal circulation? what rpm should I use for my little hayward pool cleaner? (the cheap one with the little jumpy legs) I want to be as energy efficient as possible

EDIT: I have no pool features or pool solar or anything like that

With no SWG or heater you can run it as low as you want. Try 1200 rpm.

You may want to set a schedule for a period of time to increase RPM for your cleaner and skimming.

I have a simple pool and run my older IntelliFlo at 1200 RPM.. If you have a newer VSF you should be able to run at 1000 RPM with no problem.

The question is why are you running the pump at all? You should have a reason to run the pump. To generate the amount of chlorine you need if you have a SWCG or use a tab feeder.. Or to keep the pool skimmed the way you want.. The great thing about a VS pump is that they are so cheap to run, it does not matter if you run it for a long time.

Every pool, and pool owner, has different needs, so there is no one answer to your question.

I run mine 24/7 because I like to make a little chlorine all the time and I like skimming all the time.. You can just run the pump for 2 to 4 hours a day, if that is all you want to do, it is up to you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a simple pool and run my older IntelliFlo at 1200 RPM.. If you have a newer VSF you should be able to run at 1000 RPM with no problem.

The question is why are you running the pump at all? You should have a reason to run the pump. To generate the amount of chlorine you need if you have a SWCG or use a tab feeder.. Or to keep the pool skimmed the way you want.. The great thing about a VS pump is that they are so cheap to run, it does not matter if you run it for a long time.

Every pool, and pool owner, has different needs, so there is no one answer to your question.

I run mine 24/7 because I like to make a little chlorine all the time and I like skimming all the time.. You can just run the pump for 2 to 4 hours a day, if that is all you want to do, it is up to you.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I just run it to circulate the water. I was told you want the water to do a full rotation once per day

Thanks,

Jim R.
Agree with this after listening to a few others on the forum. I have mine running 24/7... mostly low speeds and it increases speed with the heat pump running and I like the have steady chlorine from the SWG. It's like having a light bulb on and I like the constant circulation. It can also be harder on the equipment to have the pump turn on and off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.