adrian300

Sep 27, 2021
California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My Intelliflo VSF pump has about 2-3 inches of air in the system when running at a medium RPM. So far I've troubleshot the following:

- Skimmer is clear of debris and flowing properly
- Pool water is sufficently high
- Wier is moving correctly
- Tight seal on see through lid
- Replaced o-ring
- All unions on suction side are thoroughly sealed
- Impeller is free of debris

My question: the filter is pretty old. Could this cause the priming issues?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Welcome to TFP! :wave: While in the majority of cases air in the system is an indication of a suction side air leak getting "in", there are times where a filter obstruction (really dirty) can impede good flow and cause a similar issue. It happens to me. You certainly can clean the filter and see if that helps. But if it doesn't, be sure all those O-ring back on the suction side are well lubed. It only takes on bad seal.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
is this new or has it always had 2 to 3 inches of air?

Does the air bubble go away when it is first started and priming?

adrian300

Sep 27, 2021
California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Welcome to TFP! :wave: While in the majority of cases air in the system is an indication of a suction side air leak getting "in", there are times where a filter obstruction (really dirty) can impede good flow and cause a similar issue. It happens to me. You certainly can clean the filter and see if that helps. But if it doesn't, be sure all those O-ring back on the suction side are well lubed. It only takes on bad seal.

Thank you! I cleaned out the filter but the issue persisted. It is a pretty old filter though, looks to be fraying a bit. I purchased a new lid cover, and a new o-ring and lubricant, but that hasn't helped.

adrian300

Sep 27, 2021
California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
is this new or has it always had 2 to 3 inches of air?

Does the air bubble go away when it is first started and priming?
I just purchased the house a few weeks ago, but since I've been here it has always had 2 to 3 inches of air while running. The air bubble doesn't go away as long as the pump is running. Once the pump stops, the chamber fills back up with water.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
I would say you have a suction side air leak.. They are the hardest to find but can be found.. try using a hose and spray water on the pipe or anything coming up to the pump... hold the water in 1 place for at least a minute to se if the air goes away...

adrian300

Sep 27, 2021
California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I would say you have a suction side air leak.. They are the hardest to find but can be found.. try using a hose and spray water on the pipe or anything coming up to the pump... hold the water in 1 place for at least a minute to se if the air goes away...

Thanks. Tried this yesterday but couldn't find anything. Could the leak be underground? Seems unlikely that it would be drawing air underground.

I spoke with the pool guy who worked on the pool before I purchased, and he just said "that is a condition of that pool" which I don't really like the sound of.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
It can be anywhere from the skimmer to the pump. The old poly pipe was used a LONG time ago so the leak could be anywhere... Sounds like he has know about the leak for a while and the old owners just lived with it....

BowserB

Silver Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
"Old" Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Cowboycasey asked if the bubble goes away when starting up. I might also ask if it goes away when the pump is running at full speed. In other words, at 3450rpm do you still have a bubble?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread