Intelliflo plumbing help

ChurroLover

Feb 20, 2019
Arizona
I will be installing my new Pentair Intelliflo 011018 soon. I have included a picture of my plumbing as it looks before I make any cuts. I am looking for advice on the plumbing. On the suction side of the pump, the pipe size is 2 1/2", and will require a 2 1/2" to 2" reducer to work as the pump suction inlet is 2". I was thinking about getting rid of the two 45 degree fittings and putting in a 90 degree elbow, then reducing it to connect to a Intelliflo hi-temp union. Should I install two new 45 degree fittings at the right height or a 90 degree elbow? I know a lot of folks are adverse to using elbows on here as they reduce the flow. The instructions said something about having 5 time the length of pipe between the pump and elbow, so in my case that is 12.5 inches.
411G-EiVq+L.jpg3170.jpg
On the discharge side of the pump the plumbing is 2". I was going to either try to reuse the pipe that is there or redo it. I was thinking about adding a tee with a ball value to connect a garden hose too. What do you think of that?

What pvc primer and glue do you recommend? I was also going to repaint all the pvc with Krylon Fusion spray paint, what do you think?

2019-03-05 17.23.37.jpg

Steve,

In "theory" 90's have more loss, but in the real world, you will never be able to tell the difference.

The 12" of straight pipe before the pump is best, but again, in the real world it is unlikely to make much difference...

I would never install an IntelliFlo without the pump unions that you have .. good job.. :thumleft:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Looks good Churro! :goodjob:

Now for a tip. If that equipment is in the blazing sun, it would be a good idea(if you can) to build a solar screen cover for your equipment pad. It will save your equipment from the brutal UV we have here in AZ. You can see mine in the pic below, and another desert dweller @jonpcar can give you a pic of his setup. :cheers:
2D4B12B3-4A6E-444F-8F53-EF0AD98F97CE.jpeg

I finished installing my new pool pump and cleaning up the mechanicals. Included some photos below of the final job, spray painted all the pvc (to protect it from UV rays), re-labeled everything/Directional arrows, and cleaned all 8 of the cartridge filters. Took two days to filter the water and kill all the algae from the old bump crapping out. I have this Intelliflo 011018 set to run for 1.5 hours at 2800 rpm so the pop-ups can run and the water can turnover once or twice through the filter. Then I have it scheduled to drop down to 1200 rpm for 4 hours over lunch and another 4 in the evening. At 1200 rpm its reading 193 watts, the popups don't pop but the skimmer works and it filters the water.

Next i want to put an LED bulb into my Hayward Astrolite SP0592HSL 250 watt bulb... considering buying this...Color LED Bulb or White LED Bulb. Any advice?

Thanks for all your help!
Steve

2019-03-14 17.04.19b.jpg
2019-03-14 17.04.03b.jpg
2019-03-14 17.04.51b.jpg
2019-03-14 16.16.56b.jpg

Last edited:
Steve, if you ever decide that your IFCS isn’t cleaning like you would like, there are a couple improvements you can make to it if/when you decide to automate your valves, but that’s for another day....Your changes look great, congrats!

I finished installing my new pool pump and cleaning up the mechanicals. Included some photos below of the final job, spray painted all the pvc (to protect it from UV rays), re-labeled everything/Directional arrows, and cleaned all 8 of the cartridge filters. Took two days to filter the water and kill all the algae from the old bump crapping out. I have this Intelliflo 011018 set to run for 1.5 hours at 2800 rpm so the pop-ups can run and the water can turnover once or twice through the filter. Then I have it scheduled to drop down to 1200 rpm for 4 hours over lunch and another 4 in the evening. At 1200 rpm its reading 193 watts, the popups don't pop but the skimmer works and it filters the water.

Next i want to put an LED bulb into my Hayward Astrolite SP0592HSL 250 watt bulb... considering buying this...Color LED Bulb or White LED Bulb. Any advice?

Steve

View attachment 94838
View attachment 94839
View attachment 94840
View attachment 94841

Steve

View attachment 94838
View attachment 94839
View attachment 94840
View attachment 94841
love the look of the painted pipe. Just finished mine and didn’t have clear primer or cement and inevitably spilled some primer so may do the paint as well!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.