Intelliconnect and a 2 speed pump

shanetron

Aug 5, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
Background,
Pool finished construction a few weeks ago.

My pool contractor installed a 2 speed pump and the controller for everything is the Pentair Intelliconnect. I am trying to figure out how I can automate the 2 speed pump. The installation manuals don't speak to it. I am an electronics guru and I really haven't opened the pump up to discover the theory of operations. Does the pump just have two speeds @ 220, or is the 2nd speed just 110 volts? How does it switch between speeds?

Are there any solutions I can use to run the pump in slow speed 6 hours a day, and high speed 2 hours a day to run the Baracuda G3?

Equipment is as follows:
6400gal
2 Speed Jandy Pump(FHPM1.5-2)
Pentair Intelliconnect
Pentair IC30
Filter is a PCCF-150

Shane,

Two speed pumps have two sets of windings, so no, they do not run off of 240 volts for high and 120 volts for low..

Your IntelliConnect can not by itself control a two speed pump.. You need to have a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) relay to control a 2-speed pump.

You need to make sure that it is impossible to turn on the high speed and low speed at the same time.. Otherwise the pump will be destroyed faster than you can read this one sentence.. :mrgreen:

Basically, when the relay is not energized, the pump will run at one speed, and when the relay is energized, the pump will run at the other speed.

You would have to use one of your two internal IntelliConnect relays to turn this external SPDT relay on and off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Shane,

Two speed pumps have two sets of windings, so no, they do not run off of 240 volts for high and 120 volts for low..

Your IntelliConnect can not by itself control a two speed pump.. You need to have a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) relay to control a 2-speed pump.

You need to make sure that it is impossible to turn on the high speed and low speed at the same time.. Otherwise the pump will be destroyed faster than you can read this one sentence.. :mrgreen:

Basically, when the relay is not energized, the pump will run at one speed, and when the relay is energized, the pump will run at the other speed.

You would have to use one of your two internal IntelliConnect relays to turn this external SPDT relay on and off.

Thanks,

Jim R.
So are there two completely separate sets of terminals on the pump, one for low speed and one for high? Or is it like a high speed terminal, low speed terminal, and a common? I'm trying to figure out my approach because I can make an Arduino controller for a SPDT relay and just run it on a timed control sequence.

Last edited:
So are there two completely separate sets of terminals on the pump, one for low speed and one for high? Or is it like a high speed terminal, low speed terminal, and a common? I'm trying to figure out my approach because I can make an Arduino controller for a SPDT relay and just run it on a timed control sequence.

Post a pic of the motor data plate. The wiring is usually on the motor data plate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.