Intellichlor turning off everyday

race_bannon

Sep 9, 2022
TN
I'd like to give some background before starting with the issue. If you'd like to get to the issue, you can skip this first paragraph and read the next. My wife and I recently purchased a house in Chattanooga, TN with a pool. We are new pool owners and have very little understanding of how exactly our system works. The previous owners left no manuals or contact information for who built/installed the pool and equipment. I have watched multiple YouTube videos and searched through a few posts on this forum but still don't really know how to really operate my system. We have a Pentair IntelliTouch panel, Pentair IntelliFlo VST pump, and Pentair IntelliChlor IC40.

When we purchased the home, everything was working fine and all the water samples we took to the pool store for the first month tested fine. Our chlorine started to test a little high so we were told to reduce the generator by 50%. I tried to do that using the buttons on the IC40 but that didn't change the production level. Eventually I was able to install the Screen Logic app on my phone, connect to the system, and change the chlorine production level. Now the issue is we can't keep the IC40 "on" for more than one day. I say "on" because the salt level light is solid green, the flow light is solid green, but the status light is off and the sanitizer output lights are off. We have the panel set to "Auto" and the IntelliChlor production set to 40%. The only way we can get the lights on the Intellichlor to light up is by going out to the IntelliTouch panel and pressing the "F" button for "Filter Pump". I'm not sure what this does because our pump is set to run 24/7 at different speeds. We can get the IntelliChlor to run for about 12 hours but then it just stops. Any advice is greatly appreciated. If I need to provide more information please let me know and I'm happy to do so.

Welcome to the forum.
The intellitouch must be in Pool mode for the SWCG to operate. Be sure your base schedule (lowest rpm) is selected as Pool and is set to run 24 hours if that is your desire.

Reactions: race_bannon
Race,

You say your pump is running 24/7, but your schedules do not reflect this.. I suspect that someone has set your pump to run from the pump's control panel rather than be controlled by the IntelliTouch. As scheduled, your pump should only run from 6 am until 5 pm and it will never change speeds.

Run the following test and tell me what happens.

1. Make sure the system is in Auto and not in the Service mode.
2. Go out and look at your pump's display and tell me what it shows.. It should show "Display not active". It should NOT show anything else, like rpm or running schedule..
3. Look at your SWCG and see if ANY lights are on.
4. Put the system in the Service mode.
5. Wait about a minute and look at the cell and see if ANY lights are on.
6. Put the system back into the Auto mode.

Tell me what you found.

I think you have several different issues, but let's just work on them one at a time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, I took pictures of everything and put them below. I followed your steps and what I found was this: pump has 2300 showing on the display, that is what I set it to for the second half of the day. I took the panel out of auto and set it to service. No change on the pump or SWCG. I waited about 3 minutes then put the panel back in auto. The display on the pump and the SWCG showed no change during the whole process.

ICpanel.png
IFpump.png
Panelautomode.png
Panelservicemode.png

Race,

Ok... You do not have an IntelliFlo pump, and you do not have an IntelliTouch. You have a SuperFlo VS and an EasyTouch automation system.

We have been assuming that you had an IntelliFlo pump. What you have is a SuperFlo VS. Depending on when it was made, it may or may not have the ability to be controlled by the EasyTouch using the normal RS-485 com port.

Show us a bigger pic of the pump showing the whole thing and see if you can see any kind of cable that is attached to the control head

See if you can find the label on the pump that shows the date of mfg.

Normally when in the Service mode, your cell should have no lights, it should be totally off. This is a safety feature. Since yours has lights, it is not wired correctly.

I suspect that your system originally had an IntelliFlo pump. Someone replaced the IntelliFlo and now things are screwed up.

Once we know when the pump was made we can decide what to do next.

Does your salt cell have an external power center or is it inside your EasyTouch? If in the EasyTouch, show us some pics of the relays, circuit breakers and wiring.

If you don't want to go down this path you can always run your pump 24/7 (from the pumps control panel) and then schedule your SWCG to run 24/7 by scheduling the Pool Circuit to be on from 8 am until 8 am, which will keep the cell on 24/7.

Another test you can do is to set your SWCG's output to 100% using ScreenLogic and confirm that the Cell actually changes to 100%. The cell should also be telling the ScreenLogic the salt level in the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.